Panic Attacks

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone, my name is Ben and i am 22. I have suffered from Panic attacks for the last three years. I had my first one during my first year of college. My heart starting racing and i was convinced i was having a heart attack. I even went down to the local police station which was a minutes walk away. I hadn't had a panic attack in like 2 years though until recently. Now when i get them i get weird feelings like all the blood is rushing to my head all of a sudden. I also randomly see stars and then my heart beat gets all weird. It never feels like an irregular heartbeat though. I have been to the doctor twice both times he has only listened to my heart using the stethoscope. And both times he told me my heart beat was perfect. I am waiting for blood tests back at the moment to confirm i don't have an overactive thyroid. Does anyone else have similar symptoms to these??

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes indeed it sounds like a panic attack. If they are becoming more frequent it suggests there is some underlying anxiety that maybe should be addressed. Maybe talk to your gp about the best way forward. Likely this will be meds or therapy, I would always opt for therapy
    • Posted

Hey thank you for your reply, i probably should of included that i went to therapy. Yeah once the test results come back i will talk to my gp about the best way forward.
    • Posted

Was it CBT u had? CBT did nothing for me, there are other much more effective therapies out there
    • Posted

Yeah it was CBT, i just didn't find it too helpful at all. What are these therapys?
    • Posted

Yes CBT was useless for me. I am in CAT which is cognative analytical therapy. It looks more for the root cause of anxiety. Why it happens and how then to take it's power away. Its very good, miles better than CBT.  There are others too, but a therapist would be able to tell u more about those
    • Posted

hi jmcg i was talking to u last week about my panic attacks and im starting therpy nxt week coz i had a major attack last nite it went on for nearly 3 hours i taught i was goin to pass out i had weird headaches like my head was goin to explode abd dizzyness so my question to u what therpy would u suggest i do as cbt never worked for me
    • Posted

I would say cognitive analytical therapy, its very good at trying to get to the root of the problem
  • Posted

Hi Ben, whatever you do, don't let the doctor put you on any kind of Benzodiazepine, they are only a tempory solution and are highly addictive and will result in unpleasant side effects as well as tolerence and heightened anxiety. Best of luck Ben!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.