Panic attacks 30 minutes after taking citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am only on 15mgs. However, I take it in the morning so it doesn't mess with my sleep. Everyday though about 30 minutes after taking it I have a panic attack even with 1mg of Klonopin already on board. When do the panic attacks stop? Anyone else have this issue? I should be moving up to 20mgs in 2 days. My doc appointment is tomorrow evening.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mandy, I will no doubt be booed of this forum, but I find it difficult to understand why anyone would put themselves through a medication regime that gives you so many undesirable side effects when there are other alternatives out there. I personally were on these meds for around six years and had no problems when I first took them unlike many here who have problems. I decided to stop taking these meds when they were interfeering or should I say killing my sex drive. While I was on them, I still had ups and downs but in a muted way. I took many months to finally rid myself of the severe side effects of withdrawing. I still have elavated blood pressure even now which only became so on withdrawal. I have nothing decent to say about this medication. Just listen to the many people on this forum with similar shocking stories and make your own decision on whether to stop. many will say' try a bit longer and it gets better' . Do trust your inner instincts and listen to your body crying out for relief. As I said these comments will not be popular with all but I do guarantee many will agree they are dangerous meds and do not leave it to ill informed doctors to say otherwise. I wish you future happiness and hope you find some peace soon. X

• Posted

What did you take to help yourself? I had a medical swab done because I am very sensitive to meds. My understanding is to give it 6 weeks for it to take away the panic and anxiety. This is all new ro me.
    • Posted

Hi Mandy, I feel sorry to hear of your predicament. Anxiety is terrible and a real lonely experience as you do not want to burden those around you. I started meditation which has been an absolute winner for me. It helps stop the mental chatter inside of us. Some call it monkey mind.  our anxiety is fuelled by our thoughts so anyway you can control those thoughts and inner chatter will always reap benefit I wish I had an easier option in the form of a med for you but I can only share my personal experience. google and read up on breathing techniques etc as calming oneself physically and mentally is always better than the bandaid effect of drugs. I have been down that path of pills and years later still had not come to terms with the core issues causing my distress.I hope I have helped in some way. X
  • Posted

Hi, As I have just advised another forum member, I would suggest that you take your citlopram about an hour befiore you go to bed, since in most case they tend to make you drousy, especially when first starting them, this generally makes you sleep soundly. this should also minimise your panic attacks. The other important thing to consider is the fact that these generally make you drousy it is not adviseable to take them before considering driving or performing any task that requires your full concentration. I have been on citalopram for a  number of years

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.