Panic attacks

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a Stroke 5 years ago.

broke a Tooth last week,and need to make an appointment after Christmas.

Now,I am having attacks of panic at the thought.

Never liked the Dentist,but never reacted as badly as this before.

Could the Doctor prescribe something to help me ?

My Nerves seem so bad now.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear what you're going through. I'm in no position to sit here and say if a doctor could give you anything to calm you down, however, being the worrier I am, I read the entire leaflet that came with my newly prescribed diazepam and under the 'uses' section, it says it can be given to people at the dentist to calm them down. Go have a chat with your doctor smile
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Why not call the dentist, explain the situation and ask them if you can get a short acting benzo, before the treatment. So you can take it the morning of the dentist. Possible one more right before. I think it will relax you enough to be able to go in. Good luck ... I'm american so it may be different but our dentists can prescribe Valium or Xanax ....I'm thinking it would be the same in the uk?

i have a very hard time going to the dentist as well!!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Try to go talk to your doctor. Tell them your problems and they can give you something or tell you something to try to help reduce anxiety
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My doc gives me ativan to take before my dentist app. It helps a lot. I take 1 0.5 mg one 1/2 hr before and I'm good to go.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Janet, try not to worry too much... dentists are very good and they will understand and be very empathetic if you explain that you are nervous... they have many totally painless treatments nowadays. And try to think the sooner it is seen to the sooner it is over... you really cannot ignore a broken tooth... I am sure that it will go well, just tell them on the phone and again when you arrive just how worried you are... you will be fine xx sincere regards to to you, Dee xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

All great advise Janet, personally abd I know this's sounds. Daft but I find the dentists relaxing as it's generally painless.

Phoning the dentists to explain is a great idea and if your still not reassured or very anxious a benzo or beta blocker will do the trick.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up