Panic attacks about health

Posted , 5 users are following.

Since my early 20's I've had bouts of panic about my health - or I should say about dying. Im not scared of going to the doctors if I do feel ill - but I always fear the worst beforehand. I cant help using google searches to work out whats wrong with me - which always invaribly tell me I'm going to die of cancer, which becomes the focus of my worry despite what the doctor tells me - I'm always worried my GP has missed something....

Since I became a father three years ago my bouts of panic have become worse. 

To describe the panic, I get hot and feel physically sick, my palms get sweaty and I want to run away and hide or scream and escape my body somehow. When I try to sleep it takes me hours to go off, I have night sweats - I wake up drenched in sweat.

I can go to work and fill my whole day without worry - but in the car on the way home just listening to the radio, news of a celebrity death of cancer etc can set me off.

Sometimes in my daily routine something will trigger thoughts that I will die someday - and the panic sets in.

I'm not on any kind of medication and havent spoken to my GP about this.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I've been suffering this for two years now nearly everyday I have had several panic attacks feeling sick heart palps wanting to run away etc every time I feel something in my body I think the worst and since I've just had my second baby it's got worse it's health anxiety , I found hearing from others on these sights really help but the worst thing I did was GOOGLE stuff don't do it I always find sites that say the worst about little things it's hard but with help and reassurance it has got better , did something set off the anxiety ?
    • Posted

Im pretty sure my panic attacks started when I was in the military. 1999 - in Kosovo, then Iraq and Afghanistan. Im now a 999 / 911 responder and I've seen more 'grizzly' stuff as a civilian than I even encountered before
  • Posted

Hi sean i'm 16 years old and going through the same thing as you. I think that you should make an apointment with the GP so you can go get advice that might make you feel better. I'm still suffering from this. To me every headache is something worse, something that is going to cause me to die or a sore arm is going to kill me to most people that sounds silly but in my mind i'm so scared!. But i went to the doctor and he gave me some relaxation tapes and tips on how to relax. My advice is to find something you love doing to get your mind off this, i really hope you feel better soon x 
    • Posted

Wow relaxation tapes ? What do they consist of I'm really interested it's one thing I'm really struggling with is to relax?
    • Posted

Lindsay...they do some great guided meditation ones on YouTube for mind,body and soul.

i listen to one as I'm going to sleep and one as I start my day. They are helping immensely xx

• Posted

I'm pretty chilled out most of the time. I get these attacks maybe once every two or three days - but when I feel ill I worry every day until I switch off to worry, usually because I'm busy getting on with life / work

• Posted

maybe sean you are worried about death because you read too much into articles on medical things on google.  Try and be fatalistic. If it happens it happens rather than overly worrying about the end of your life. Enjoy the now don't predict the future because no one knows it.

Richard

• Posted

I've really tried to be fatalistic - but still get paniced. It makes me seriously envy people with strong religious convictions, their idea of death, the after life etc makes things seem cozy in comparision

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.