Panic attacks... The return

Posted , 6 users are following.

It's been years since I've experienced the nightmare that is a panic attack. When I was first diagnosed with stress and anxiety I was 24 and living the party lifestyle... There was a cause for what I was going through and I'd brought it on myself. Now I'm edging close to the big 4 0, I'm settled in my job and life... Behaving myself... So why have they returned?. It started with a chest pain, more of a tightness really, then the sweats... My legs and arms turned to jelly I was gasping for breath. I thought it was the end.. I remembered my breathing exercises I was tought all those years ago and the symptoms melted away. I thought I was in the clear, although it had left me feeling like id ran back to back marathons. However a few weeks later I find myself lying in bed, just dropping off to sleep when without warning WHAM!! FULL BLOWN ATTACK!!. Lasted longer than most. The next day I was worried, I felt drained, the chest pain, just off left center was still there. Now, I'm lucky... I work In a hospital, in fact I work in casualty. I was able to get 2 Ecg's done and have them screened by a cardiovascular nurse. Plum normal, I still feel a mess but at least the thought of a heart attack has left my mind.... For now. I know they will go away, I know things will get back to normal again. To anyone who has read this, and is going g through the same, hang in there. Things will get easier and you will find peace... I have before and I WILL again.

2 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Thank you 2 times for sharing your story. It's always hard when panic comes back into your life, it's hard not to buy into it as it feels so powerful. They are very disarming.

I'm struggling with agoraphobic anxiety ie panic attacks when out and in certain situations. It's weird no matter how many I've had and experienced and dealt with I still can't totally take the fear out of them and believe I will be ok.

You've obviously got the right attitude and are very positive. Take care.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you so much for you're reply. I think a positive attitude is key in dealing with this horrible illness. If I may can I just share with you something that helped me and you've touched on it in you're comment, you see you have experienced many.... And are still here... They haven't beat you, and I know they won't. Although you might not have seen it before, even after all the attacks you've had, you're still here... That's what you can focus on. Good luck, my thoughts are with you.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind and encouraging reply, really appreciated.

Yes it's a lot about self - belief, building confidence and remaining positive.

I'm determined to forge forward!

Best wishes,

Fran

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

What kind of breathing exercises do you use. I had panic attacks two years ago they went away and now have come back with a vengeance. wishing you peace.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I use deep abdominal breathing, I'm sure if you look it up online you will find a guide, if you don't have any luck message me back and I can go through what I do smile thank you for the response.. It means a lot that people have read my story... I hope you find you're peace.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I hate to think it's because you're turning 40. At least seek a consultation visit to a medical profession just to be sure of any unknown causes.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank your for replying. I don't think my age is the issue, I was just pointing out its been a while since I last had an attack... Many years. I'm lucky in that I work with highly trained medical staff and in their opinion my heart is fine... Just the nasty anxiety. Again many thanks for you're response smile
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there

Just to let you know that I have read your post and I am sending you my very best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery.  I have had anxiety in my life too so know what its like.  I hesitate to give you any advice as you probably know more than me, I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you

xxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

all normal panics ihave them but got the skipped heartbeats more often, all a worry do you get these too?  try take stock and normalise things ie it will all lpass and is normal, actually its short breaths not long deep ones as then its too much air coming in, yoga or change jobs etc
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for your message Debi. Yh I also get the skipping heartbeats. If short breathes work for you then great, I'll stick with my deep abdominal breathing... Its working for me. My thoughts are with you.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up