Panic disorder

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I just wanted to share my own experience with Anxiety and Panic attacks.

I am a 30 year old man and i had my first panic attack aged 17 which I am certain was caused by smoking cannabis. Since then I have had them on and off over the years but had always managed to get over them and get on with my life.

Then about a month ago, I wasn't sleeping well and was feeling a bit run down and I awoke one morning to having the worst panic attack I have ever had.Since then I have been having attacks daily with symptoms including: palpitations,heavy breathing,tiredness,clammy feet,hands and hot,tingly spells.

For the first time it is actually started to seriously affect my life as I do not want to go anywhere or be around other people, it has also been affecting my work as I have had several days off in the month alone.

Last week I finally plucked up the courage to seek medical advice from my GP, who has prescribed me fluoxetine and recommended I do cognitive behavioural therapy.But so far being on the drugs has actually made me feel worse as I have developed tremors,my legs feel like jelly all the time and I am getting hardly any sleep at all now.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am so sorry you are having a hard time. We've all been there, sadly. It does get better. It may take a few weeks to get thr meds in your system but hang in there. I am currently on celexa, buspar, and ativan for my anxiety. Some days I don't need an ativan and some days I do. Maybe ask your GP for something like that, that is fast acting to calm you down a bit until your meds kick in. Best of luck and hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.