Panic disorder - agoraphobia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or reccomendations.

I’ve had panic attacks for over a year now after a rough time. Started citalopram and developed agoraphobia which has been severe for almost a year. Long story short that didn’t work. Switched to sertraline and had some improvements but still struggle just getting to the local shop. Had cbt which again helped but it’s like I’ve got this wall I can’t get over that stops me getting to a place where I can lead a functioning life. Get a job, go to the pub nothing fancy!

IVe also done yoga, mindfulness, quit drinking, smoking, followed a healthy diet. Breathings got easier to manage and thinking more positively but still get what I can only describe as sensory overload which sends me running home. 

Anyways I’ve been on sertraline for about 8 months and have now gone down to 50mg from 150. My options are to come off everything, this might cure me or maybe the pills have been doing more than I thought and it will set me back again. Or switch to something else, although I really can’t take another 6 months of horrific side effects with no results. 

Has anyone had any luck? I’m going to see my gp this week and just praying for a miricle answer 🙏🏼.

Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I’ve been suffering panic attacks for years, I go seasons without one and then boom I get one all of an sudden. But I’ve learned that is all in your mind. Example if you get a mosquito bite you’re mind immediately will start to think of all the negative things and you start to panick. Your mind is your biggest enemy... 

After a few months I almost got a panic attack today but I told myself is just my anxiety nothing happens to me I’m okay. 

I have yet to take any medication but try not to think too much. 

• Posted

Hi Lara,

Have you tried any CBT? I strongly recommend it. Medications take the edge off anxiety, but I think everyone that suffers with their mental health will benefit from talking to a professional counsellor. It helps you see the wider picture, you come to understand why it happens, and it helps you take control of your responses. Sadly there isn't a miracle cure, and you have to work at CBT, it's hard because it feels as though you have to re-construct your own brain in a way. I am still anxious but I do cope better after CBT, and my level of anxiety is lower. If a counsellor is not an option for you, try sites like this: https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/step1.htm

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.