Panicking as mental health nurse told me citalopram won’t work

Posted , 7 users are following.

i called my mental health team this morning as I’m on week 6 of taking citalopram 20mg and I’m waking up panicky at three am then I’m been sick with anxiety. One of the mental health nurses told me that anti depressants like citalopram won’t work on anxiety alone as I’ll need therapy too. I know that therapy will help me but there is a long wait for it but for them to dishearten me regarding the citalopram is awful. Has anyone else out there got by on citalopram alone for anxiety.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Gemma,

That is crazy your nurse said that!! It makes me so angry!

I started Citalopram 2 years ago, after a really dark time (mainly anxiety related) and after 3 or 4 weeks it really helped me so much!

Before that I had counselling that really help and taught me some techniques... but by that point I think my body was so run down with all the stresses it had been under that I need the extra help.

Citalopram was a life saver and I am so thankful for modern medicine.

However, recently I do believe that the key to full recovery from anxiety is both medication and counselling. 

While the body is calmer (which the Citalopram does) it is good to learn ways to handle to anxiety and to practice ‘being ok’ with little feelings of anxiety that are a part of life etc...

I still get blips every now and then. However, what I learnt in the counselling really does help!

At the moment, I’m having another ‘blip’ due to taking my meds alongside a cough medicine I didn’t know I wasn’t allowed! So I’m waiting for things to settle... *rolls eyes* but am considering taking up the counselling again... as it really is invaluable along with the medication.

You will be absolutely fine... and the medication will do what is supposed to; calm your anxious mind and body down.

Sending a big hug,

Lu xo

• Posted

Thank you Lu, I just hope I can get through this. When it was really bad this morning, I just thought I can’t do this anymore, I don’t want to live anymore, it’s awful. I wish u all the best and you’ll soon be back on track I’m sure.x
    • Posted

You should really ask your doctor for a small dose of diazapam..it will really help you...
    • Posted

I’ve got some yesterday, they’ve given me enough for five days. It helped me get going when I first started on the citalopram, so I’m hoping they’ll get me going again. I’m not sure if I should call the doctor tomorrow and ask if I should up the citalopram to 30 mg or if six weeks at twenty is too soon to say whether or not it’s working at 20mg. My family think it needs putting up but they don’t understand when I tell them that it’s a slow acting drug.
    • Posted

Make a decision at 12 weeks .. because when you up the dose your going to go thru that whole drama all over again... especially if this isn't the first time taking celexa.

• Posted

You will smile a trick of the anxiety is it makes us feel like we’ll never get back to normal again or be our old selves... but we will.

All the thoughts the anxiety tells us our lies.

Just try to be kind to yourself during this time. Don’t put any pressure on yourself whatsoever and you will get back on track.

Did you start on 10mg and go up to 20mg or go straight on 20? Sometimes when we up the dosage it can take a little while for it to adjust in our system too. 

Sending lots of love. 

Xx

• Posted

I did four weeks at 10mg then they put me straight onto 20mg and it’s been hell. I did the first week on diazepam as I wasn’t coping then I have done five weeks on just the 20mg. But I feel like I’ve gone backwards over the last 3 days and the panic first thing has been awful.
    • Posted

So have you done 4 weeks 10 mg and 2 weeks 20mg for a total of 6 weeks or have you done 4 weeks 10mg and 6 weeks 20 mg for a total of 10 weeks?
  • Posted

Please help me I just don’t know how I’m going to get through this, this anxiety is horrendous. It’s been bad all weekend and even with the diazepam I’m only getting two hours sleep.
    • Posted

Ask your doctor for some ziplocone..and save your diazapam for emergencies...
    • Posted

What time do you take the Citalopram? I’ve always taken mine at night - in the early days of increasing I would feel more calm after taking it.

Have you spoken to your doctor?  Let them know you haven’t gotten much sleep and maybe ask for a sleeping aid?

• Posted

Sorry you’re going through this.  Anxiety is terrible.  sad
    • Posted

Just been prescribed some ziplocone, so I'll do that I'll give that a go tonight. Thanks 

• Posted

I normally take the citalopram at night but they've told me to try taking it on a morning as it can act as a stimulant in the first few hours which could be causing me to wake with anxiety. I used to take it on a night and I was fine with it so I'm not sure if it's worth swapping it

• Posted

I use to take my ziplocone with the celexa at night and it jolted me awake at night ..now I switched my celexa from evening to midday and I sleep much better with the ziplocone..
    • Posted

They'll only give me ziplocone for one week only, do you take it all of time.

• Posted

Ah, ok.  Maybe see how it goes the next couple of days and see how tired you are at the end of the day?  If you still feel you’re going to be super awake it might be worth it to switch to taking it in the morning.  It might just be a few couple days of insomnia and then hopefully go away if you normally take the Citalopram at night and are fine.

Or you could try a few hours earlier and do it in the afternoon like lois does and see if that works better for you.

Hope you’re feeling better!

• Posted

I’ve decided to switch the citalopram tonight to the morning and I’ll take the ziplocone tonight. I’m just praying for some sleep with no panic attacks.
    • Posted

Sounds like a good idea.  Hope you get some good rest tonight and switching the Citalopram to the morning works. smile
    • Posted

I did it, I got through the night and I swapped the citalopram to this morning. I just need to keep it going though as the ziplocone will only last me a week. I was still anxious this morning but not as bad.
    • Posted

Yay, I’m glad.  Could you ask your doctor for a long-term sleep aid?  Just in case you still have insomnia issues?  Hopefully it doesn’t get to that point though.

That’s good.  I think sleep can really make an impact.  I’m hoping that’s why I’ve been feeling more off/anxious and down than normal myself these past 2 days.  I’ve definietly gotten less sleep than I normally do.  But, I have only myself to blame for that - have been staying up late to watch an addicting tv show.  ;-)

• Posted

In the uk I’m not sure if doctors will administer the sleeping aids long term, I’ll have to ask if I’m struggling next week. It’s good to hear that you’re enjoying watching something on the tv, my tele has broken so the nights are looooong.
    • Posted

I chat with a lady on here that's on long term sleep aid and diazapam from the UK.she says if you visit a phychiatrist yes ..but with general doctor no..

• Posted

Ah, ok.  Well, hopefully switching the Citalopram to the morning will work for you.

I actually watch it online from my laptop (something on YouTube).  That’s unfortunate about your TV - have you ever tried watching stuff online from your computer or phone?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.