Panicking please help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi i am 49 not had a period since last July, I saw the Dr a few weeks ago to talk about my hormones and she said if I had a period now she would be worried and I would have to go for a scan. so it panicked me bit. I have just come back from walking the dog and noticed some spotting. I an scared stiff my anxiety is sky high. I just lost my dad a few months ago too. Can anyone help me please?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

Ellie, absolutely do not panic, please. I have been there, I just turned 59 , and I have had the worst menopause that you can imagine. Your doctor was actually not right because it MUST be at least 12 months without period or any kind of bleeding to be considered done. You will be fine, nothing is there, you will see. Freely go for your ultrasound. I used to have spotting for the longest time, with months on end in between. Do not worry. Let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

Thank you so much honey I have typed a longer message below but thank you.

• Edited

Please try not to worry . I am 51 and have had my periods stopped for a while , then spotting some months , then nothing at all. I have no idea why your doctor would be concerned, i think this is a common experience for women, no harm having an ultrasound to confirm all is well, but truly no need for you to panic x

• Edited

I agree with others. Don't panic. Doctors believe it are not always right. I am nearly three years post menopause and I have had spotting. I freaked out. Went to my Gyn for a scan and it was a bv one time and a yeast infection another time. Irritated cervix she said can cause it. I didn't have any bv or yeast symptoms. But labs showed it.

Also I went nearly a year and started just a bit. It took me about 2.5 years to finally stop.

A good saying is. "It ain't over til it's over". Go in for a scan for peace of mind but you haven't gone a full year so close but until it has been the very least a full year. Many docs even female don't get menopause.

I had a horrible perimenopause and post is even worse for me. I had no less than 7 ultrasounds last year alone. All ok. I have a stomach ultrasound scheduled Friday.

Hang in there! X

• Posted

Thank you so much for your message it really made a difference last night. I have typed a longer reply below xxx

• Edited

I am so sorry for your loss. I am still in peri, so I have never had your issue. However, I have been on this forum for over a year as well as two others I frequent. I have read many posts from women who have spotted or gotten a period after the one year mark. It is something to discuss with your doctor, but it seems to be common. Try not to fret. xo

• Posted

thank you so much for replying to me it really helped me

• Edited

hi you are fine. your doctor was overacting every female bodies are different. menopause is no period after 12 months - meaning you could have one within 12 months . this is absolutely normal i have had 2 periods in the last 12 months and hot flashes like every 1-2 hours

• Posted

thank you all so much for your messages helped me so much last night, I was so anxious last night that I called 111 I know it sounds trivial but I was scared and my anxiety got very bad, all I could hear in my head was the GP telling me a few weeks ago that she would be worried if I had a period now and would have to send me for a scan. So since then I have been worrying, with my dad dying my anxiety has got worse, I miss him so much and naturally he would be the one who would say it is ok. So reaching out to my virtual friends last night meant the world that I was not alone and feeling the way I do. 111 called me back a male clinician who had been doing this job for 30 years and had said it was not uncommon to bleed before 12 months and also his wife had a bleed after 15 months and all was OK. I worry about something awful I know it is rare, I had a hysterscopy 3 years ago due to heavy periods and a thick lining which was caused by taking northeristone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.