Parathesia Problem only been on Mirtazapine 7 days

Posted , 7 users are following.

I need some assistance please.

I have been taking Mirtazapine for 7 days, and only just noticed something isn't right.

I had vivid dreams, and increase in appetite I can handle that.

Now I am starting to feel odd sensations, in my skin, they call this parathesia.

Chills and the occassional rapid heart rate.

I am going to see my doctor about this on monday but.

Can I switch back to Citalopram, if I skip the Mirtazapine tonight, or should I just go cold turkey till Monday.

I am anxious not to take any more Mirtazapine, but I am anxious that if I don't take anything I am going to be in a worse situation come Monday.

My doctor switched from Citalopram to Mirtazapine because of my increase in anxiety.

to be honest I thought Mirtazapine was a wonder drug, and now I am not so sure.

Please help if you can.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I think you run a risk of feeling worse if you stop dead. Did you cross titrate the Citalopram?

What is your current dosage?

• Posted

Hello Stuarto

I was on 30mg Citalopram in the Morning and 20 mg in the evening.

My anxiety was so bad I spoke to my doctor on the 14th February.

He said try Mirtazapine 15mg [one at night] and I started it on the 14th February omitting the evening dose of Citalopram

I have been taking the Mirtazapine with good success up until the 21st Feb

Very vivid dreams every night, I could actually accept that, and an increase in my appetite.

Last night I had the Parathesia, started about 20 minutes after I had taken the Mirtazapine,

I just started suffering the parathesia again about 20 minutes ago and I am due to take the Mirtazapine at 10 pm tonight.

I am thinking of doing the following

Avoiding the Mirtazapine tonight and taking 30mg of Citalopram tomorrow,

Thats what I need advice on, I will see my doctor first thing Monday Morning.

• Posted

That seems an odd dosing schedule of Citalopram. It's half life is approx 35hrs so should really be taken in one dose. Seeing that you have only been on the Mirt 7 days I see no major problems but I would maybe take 7.5mg tonight rather than just cut it out completely.

You may find the parashesia may subside but it is best to talk things over with your Doc. Either way I think the Citalopram would be the one to watch if you are playing with doses as discontinuation syndrome is very common with Ssri's

Stu.

• Posted

thanks very much Stuarto I will reduce the dose tonight and talk to my doctor on Monday, xxx
  • Posted

Hi, Rowan.......

If ur only on mirtz 7 days it's not really long enough to feel benefits from it yet.

As for the side affect it will prob right itself once drug is in ur system properly....... Wouldn't give up on it too hastily it is a very good drug. Have talk with gp just to ease your mind

Good luck Maizie

• Posted

Doctors advise not to stop mirtazapine or any other drugs suddently. If necessary wean yourself off it. As I I was feeling very sleepy my MD reduced my dosage from 15 mg. to 7.5 mg. It seems to help. Speak to your doctor. Yes, vivid dreams are common but this occurs with other medications, ie high blood pressure medications.
  • Posted

That seems a very strange thing for your doctor to do with Mirt, the smaller the dose the more histamine thick sedation will present.
  • Posted

Mirtazapine is hallucinogenic at above prescription levels and the vivid dreams are normal with it – on 45mg a day I also experienced opening my eyes and having something like a totally red or a totally blue screen in front of me, and at another time I had like one of those liquid metal images you can make with graphic editors in front of my eyes.

However, I would be more concerned about the increased appetite and the paresthesia. As I commented in the "Mirtazapine for Anxiety week 3" thread (page 2) in these forums, it is thought that taking Mirtazapine results in low blood sugar because it causes cells to absorb sugar from the blood. (Search for: Mirtazapine+GLUT4)

The relaxing properties of Mirtazapine are quite nice, but I was very, very glad to come off it with regard to the blood sugar problem.

• Posted

Mirtazapine can cause visuals but is not actually a hallucinogenic.

The weight gain discussion is as old as the drug itself.

Being a personal trainer and nutritionist I researched this quite widely when taking the drug myself.

There is some evidence to support a dip in bmr (basal metabolic rate) and leptin levels being changed.

I think with this problem ironed out people would stuck with this med much longer as it has a unique mechanism of action.

Stu.

• Posted

I can only say I took it for about a year and two 12 mile walks a week were not enough to keep on top of the weight gain problem. I'm only now, over 3 years later, getting back to my pre-Mirtazapine weight.
  • Posted

Indeed Robert I agree with you. My primary medicine is Amitriptyline and that has a side effect of possible weight gain and compared to the Mirt it is a walk in the park to stave off.

I think cravings do occur but there is a major underlying issue preventing a calorie deficit even if you do watch your eating and up the exercise.

Anyone with more information on this please fill us in as other than that it seems a good med.

• Posted

Thanks for the wonderful advice and support, its heart warming to have so much support. I am going to speak to my doctor about it tomorrow. I took half last night 7.5mg instead of 15mg and I am still suffering parathesia, more often than I was when I took the 15mg, so I am going to talk to my doctor about what he recommends.

I can live with the whacky dreams, I will cope with parathesia if its short term, I am determined to ignore my bodies desire for food every five minutes, you eat and then you want more, I am determined not to pile on the weight as I lost a lot through a prescribed diet.

I will have a chat with my doctor about all my symptoms and see what he suggests, thank you so much for your sound advice and support.

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow and what my doctor advises.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.