parcial knee replacement, causing wear on my ankle .

Posted , 5 users are following.

Another question, I have so many, they did my Roth knee,pkr, my carltalidge was no more, and when they went in , the bone had crumbled, but also my inside ankle started leaning inwards properly because the bones were so unaligned , it now looks right, but now I walk , all be it only a bit, it really hurts. And also, the left knee which is bearing the brunt at the moment is giving me right gip , and today that ankle started hurting , so I assume it's gonna go the same way, until they operate? Any thing I can do to try to stop it?

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Mandy, in a perfect world we would all be perfectly aligned and our gait and stride would be heal to toe weight distribution plus our diet and nutrition would be text book. But then we start wanting to do and act the way that makes us happy. We lift improperly, we rush to do our jobs, we fall and just ourselves and when we are injured we pass it off as being young and invincible. Then it happens and we can't put our finger on the moment but life changes. I once had a professional football player discuss the athletes mentality which is, if the plane crashes, I'll be the one to walk away and that kind of explains life for all of us, more or less. As I said eaier., the body was designed to be in perfect alignment and when it isn't, it wears enevenly and we, with our compensating minds start taking the easy way out and shifting weight, continuing our work when exhausted, etc. Personally, I spent way too many hours in a car, driving long distances, pushing myself to see one more customer and wound up with a bad back.The legs and knees take the load of the entire body and when they aren't given their due respect, we are in a world if hurt. Then come along medical technology that give us new parts but those parts are manufactured. We all know what huge chasm there is between technology and manufacturing. If manufacturing was perfect, automobiles would never wear out, so goes prosthesis. Drs make a living selling us on replacement parts knowing full well they only have a certain life and that they are designed for the perfect skeletal scruture, which relatively few possess. As you get your new parts you are supposedly being put back into perfect alignment but the entire body has to readjust. You have to slow down, make sure every move is designed to that goal without screwing up another part of the anatomy. You'll make it but I doubt that life will ever be exactly the same.........better in some areas, not so food in others, but you'll know how things are balancing out as you go. Lot of rambling but as I've mentioned, I'm getting ready for my 11th surgery on the same leg and I've certainly had to learn when it comes to changes in life style, what's part of physical and what's part if aging. Frankly, I'm not too pleased with either but its better than the alternative.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Mandy, I'm about 14 weeks TKR and I've noticed that my ankle on the that side does hurt along with the tendons and calf muscles.  I would check with your MD first but I'm finding that when I go out on the bike or to work I wear an elastic ankle support and it makes a big difference.  I still ice and elevate when I get home and take my ibuprofen for swelling.

As OFG alluded to:  Your leg has been trying to adjust to bone and cartilage issues (mine was by limping) and then the knee is aligned and the leg now has to re-adjust. This is going to take time.   Hang in there and remember that your knee certainly wasn't going to get better by itself, something had to be done. Best wishes.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you I thought it was proberly that, I will mention it when I have stitches out, and first phisco on this Friday , I was limping for a long time , obviously still am, . I have 2walking stick.  Now both the same height , yet when I walk the one on the side that's just been done, feels shorter , I think now that my legs are aligned , I'm a bit taller , 😱 only on one side, I'm expecting my hip to start playing up soon. This is all so joyas.😃
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello mandy.

Makes me realise how lucky I have been.

I had TKR of my left knee 3 years ago.

Before that i had bad osteoarthritis in my right ankle which I fractured in a road accident 50 years ago.

Since my kee replacement, my right ankle has also been considerably better.

i think it is just that I am distributing my weight differently.

My knee replacement has been very successful, hard work at first but definitely worth it. The best is yet to come for you

Take care

Love Ssarah xxx.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you, I can't wait, am sitting in the garden , making the most of this wonderful sun shine, I'm not usually one for sitting about, ide be out with my dogs round about now, but at least I might get a bit of colour back in my cheeks, resemble a ghost at the moment, normally I have brown on the bits that stick out , .🌻🌾😎
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up