Parkinsons?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 63 and for years I have had a tremor in my thumb and pointer finger. Had trouble hanging on to things when holding them that way. In the last year the tremors in my right hand are worse and I also have tremor now in my right foot and leg. It seems my arm no longer swings correctly when I walk. And it seems hard to smile. Stress seems to increase the tremor too

Both of my parents had Parkinsons so that is what I assumed was happening to me too. Now I'm worried with this progression.

I have a doctor appt on the 20th. What does it sound like to you?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Donna,

Well we both know what it sounds like and it must be very worrying for you, I have recently been having similar symptoms, but tremor is worse when I am trying to do things, It was first thought I had Parkinsons but it has transpired I have Benign Essential Tremor apart from other things very much stress related.

Hopefully your GP will send you to see a Neurologist where hopefully you will get some answers, let me know how you get on.

Good luck  L x

• Posted

Thanks Linda , I think it is Parkinsons , I took care of my Mom so the signs look pretty obvious and after I see my GP I will ask to see my Mom's neurologist since we have already known each other for years. I just have told myself it was nothing for years. Denial can be a very useful tool lol

• Posted

Hi Donna. I can certainly understand why you'd be concerned about the symptoms you're experiencing, especially with both of your parents having Parkinson's.

?Tremors are really common as I'm sure you know but the difficulty smiling and reduced arm swing in addition definitely warrant a doctors visit. Have you noticed any changes in your handwriting or gait? Any episodes of freezing movement?

You'll most probably be referred to a neurologist so it might be worth doing a bit of investigating to see if there's one in your area that specializes in movement disorders that you'd prefer.

?I know it's hard to wait when you have something like this going on and stress makes it all so much worse. I hope you keep reaching out for the support you need. Hopefully your questions will be answered soon. 

Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Thanks ! I will ask to see my Mom's neurologist , I've known her for eight years. I just have been very surprised it has gotten so much worse lately

My handwriting has taken on a smaller look and the tremor is in my right hand so it is more difficult. I have made my living with my paintbrush for the last 40 years and lately that has been a challenge for me. I am trying not to worry because from my parents I know it just is what it is. But being an artist is the only thing I know to do. So losing that is depressing. My husband says I will have more time to play with the dogs lol ! He always sees the bright side of things

I have not had any freezing of movement

Thanks for taking time to answer. I think feeling alone is the worst part

• Posted

Donna   Never assume the worse and try to be positive.  Maybe it is early signs of PD or maybe it is something else.  Whatever it is get a second opinion.  That is what I am doing now after being told I have PD.  I am presently not convinced.  A 10 minute visit with a neurologist and it is PD.  Sure I have some of the symptoms but the tremor in my hand does not add up.  I can make it happen by laying on my right side and then when I re position myself I get a hand tremor.  It stops when I simply hold my hand.  

Enough of me.  I know what your going through, the wait to find an answer.  Be strong and you will deal with whatever comes your way.  Your worse enemy is yourself.  Try to be happy no matter what and change your attitude and your stress will subside.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.