Skip to content
in this discussion +3 following
mark55668 mark55668

paroxetine

I was first prescribed Paroxetine (Seroxat) in 1999 by my GP. 20mg a day for depression. Three years later, after little improvement, a psychiatrist diagnosed OCD and gradually increased the daily dose to 60mg. It was, quite literally, a life saver. I am still taking 60mg daily, and have been told by subsequent psychiatrists that I will need to do so for life. Indeed, coming off the drug could be dangerous,However, whilst Seroxat has greatly lessened my OCD (for which I am truly thankful), it does have many side effects: depression and a disinterest in life, flattening of mood and emotions, restlessness, weight gain, increase in alcohol use, sexual disfunction, heavy sweating etc etc. I accept these things, because my underlying OCD was so unbearable. Even so, potential new users should weigh the pros and cons. Seroxat may work, and help you a great deal, but it does have a very big downside.Go careful, and discuss all the options with your doctor.

1 Replies

• kgilbert003 kgilbert003 mark55668

This pretty much me. I sometimes don't even want to get up. Just feel bad. I've been on 60 mg for about 30 years and don't feel it's working.  I did start a abilify with the paxil.  It was great then I developed tremors. Went to the Ali amead institute for Parkinson's and said for for me to get off the abilify .. I'm off now for 6 months. I'm not sure what to do.  I am falling back into depression.  So stupid huh!!!  Any advice

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.