Partial knee replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

can someone tell me what a PKR involves?  Is the recovery the same as a total and what is the deciding factor to have a partial rather than a total?

also what are the odds that after having a partial will eventually lead you to need a total?

thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robin,

?I'm in Britain. The decider was the surgeon. Once the surgeon confirmed I was a candidate at age 71 he gave me two options, total or partial. He explained the two processes and gave me the choice. I chose partial. He agreed, adding the caveat that he would do it only if when he 'went into the knee', there was no further sign of osteoarthritis pollution  of the bone. My problem was the tibia, medial compartment. My cause was as a result of a sporting injury decades earlier, which in itself resulted in my tearing the right knee cartilidge which had to be removed. For 15 years I was bone on bone BUT only in the medial and that is how the OA came to be restricted to just one point only. No further signs of OA anywhere.  My sister in contrast at 70 had a total because her knee was totally riddled with OA not from anything else but the aging process and possibly some genetic family input. My sugeon and I do not expect the need for further surgery - but hey - who knows !

?to the best of my memory now a partial is simpler surgery with a cleaner, neater and speedier recovery. BUT the decision will be the surgeons, almost certainly.

?John

• Posted

Thanks John, that really helps.  I had a TKR 4 weeks ago.  I am 65 and am in good health doing very well now.  The 1st 2 weeks were really rough.  I was wondering because I wonder if my other knee would qualify for a partial.  My knee was bone on bone but not caused by injury just inherited.  My mom and sister both had totals.
  • Posted

I wish now I'd had a partial knee replacement mainly because a TKR can really knock your general health around.my gut feeling is that if your health is in peak condition before the op then you may fare better but if like me your an ex smoker and have been partial to the odd drunken nights in my 'youthful' days plus weight issues on and off and you're over 60 then you will suffer from a major op such as a TKR is.

A PKR has a shorter recovery period but apparently it doesn't last as long but I'm nearly a year post op and can hardly walk

• Posted

Hi Mary,  sorry to hear you still having issues.  I did have a TKR 4 weeks ago.  I was kinda surprised how much pain there was for the 1st 2 weeks.

i still have pain but it is tolerable.

hope things get better for you.

robin

• Posted

Hi there. I would think that recovery is much easier. You get back on your feet faster.
  • Posted

Hi, had a L-PKR 2 1/2 years ago. Before surgery doc was set up for TKR if things were worse than appeared on X-rays. Had R-TKR one year ago. The recovery on the PKR was easier than the total. But the TKR had virtually no swelling whereas the PKR is still a bit swollen or some fluid. At times it had more pain than the TKR. Doc says they need to adapt to each other. At one point I was wishing it had been a total. Now my right hip is bad and set for replacement in two weeks. My poor right TKR knee is suffering for it and the other is my #1 fav. At any rate, the recovery is easier but not that much different though PT is easier. Bottom line. It's how bad your knee compartments are..and there are three. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear all that your going thru.. my left knee is causing my hip to also be affected with pain. Not good.
    • Posted

Don't like to hear that Robin. I think after surgery my whole hip & leg would hurt as I got more active from exercising & walking. I'm hoping this will all pass soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.