Partial knee replacement surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm about to have a partial knee replacement at 35 and I'm wondering what I should expect to happen after surgery can anybody help me with that?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Wow! Where to begin! First, read everything that Chico Marc had posted. He has links to everything you need to know. This is an active forum and you will get lots of replies. No matter how prepared you are for this surgery, the reality is that it is a brutal surgery. Pain management is essential. You will need someone with you for at least 10 days. You cannot drive when on opioids, so make sure you have help to get to PT. You seem awfully young to have knee replacement. When is your surgery?

Search this site for threads about knee replacement.

Good luck to you

Ellen I

• Posted

Hi, I have had left and right total knee replacements 3 weeks ago.  I was determined to get out quick for my youngest granddaughters birthday party.  5 days later I was out at her party not easy but I did it.  The worse thing for me is nights because I cannot get comfortable to sleep.  The best advice I can give is try and stay positive and take pain meds regularly.  Good luck
  • Posted

Jenn, I've just been signed off 6 weeks after total knee replacement and I was the extreme end of no pain, and everything going very smoothly, but I don't know the difference between total knee replacement and partial, but there will be people on here who have had partial.  IF it's like the full knee replacement you'll go from walker to crutches in hospital and then crutches to sticks at the right time at home and you'll need elevation and ice and lots of rest and exercises.  I hope it goes well for you - do keep us updated.

• Posted

Hi jenn41283 , I had mine partial knee done end of last September, it was done with spine block not anaesthetic. I prepared myself for worst pain possible, because every I spoke to said pain is awful I was moving my feet as soon as block wore off same day, I was up on simmer frame next morning & left for home following day. It's the best thing I've ever done & will never look back. Pain was not half as much as people said & by second day at home & only on paracetamol. The after pain is more the repair pain. Nowhere near the pain before operation. Most important thing is to do your excersises every day so so important. My Physio said she'd never seen recovery like it before. Best thing ever. Just think you will be pain free from that awful arthritis pain gone . Good luck ! Sally x

• Posted

Great to hear that Sally!  That was my experience of a TKR.  These ops seem to vary so hugely from person to person and even knee to knee.  I think we were the lucky ones.  Hoping my luck holds out for the next one this summer LOL!
    • Posted

Hi Chris so good to hear your also doing well. I imagined the operation & pain a lot worse than what it was. But I think the big mistake people make is the excerssises they don't do them , they are so important. Suppose like you say no two people are the same. Wishing you good luck for the 2nd knee op, just think you'll be pain free. Pls let us no how you get on ! 

• Posted

Thanks Sally:-)  Yes, to think in the future that I'll be a 'normal person' and be able to really get fit, is wonderful!  It was great to hear you had such a good recovery too!

• Posted

Different in US vs UK. I had bilatrral pkr done 5mo ago. Needed some one 1st 24hrs but better to have someone 3-5days. Used walker 3wks and cpm machine. Drove at 4wks. I kept ice one 24/7 first three weeks x when walking. I was able to reduce regular pain meds at 3 weeks to before PT and night only and discontinued them at 6wks. On advil after that. I rested 1st48hrs then started therapy. Bike 5min, now i do 60min. Treadmill didnt start til 6wks but now walk 2miles nonstop on it. Can walk 3miles outside flat. Just rtnd to work , this is 3rd week. 6hrsx3daysx2wks then 8hrsx3daysx2 wks then 12hr days to follow. I am pooped! But stronger. Right leg great! Left leg an inner knee sore spot doc injected w cortisone last friday. He thought the joint capsule was irritated.

Still hard to kneel, this is ok w partials NOT tkr. Stairs up easy, down slow,hard, improving.

Its emotionally a roller coaster from pain and lack of sleep.

Just KNOW, do the work- which includes resting, and every day is better.

Good luck

:D

• Posted

That's so useful to hear about the treadmill AuntEG.  I thought I'd need to limit the treadmill to walking on it for 10 minutes a day otherwise I might damage the new joint - I'll gradually increase that then.  I started the recumbent just before three weeks post op (when I could get the bend sufficient to do it) and treadmill about five weeks post op.  I'll increase the recumbent too:-)))  I didn't expect the physio to test leg strength - that surprised me but thankfully it was really good!

• Posted

Chris,

The very first day i used treadmill i did a mile. Oops! Got swelling. So next day i did 1/2mile and did well smaller swelling. I did .5miles at 1 mph! Its not about how fast, its technique. Soft heel toe. Then i did .5m 2x a day. Once comfortable, my body knew, i increase 1mile. Just go slow and you wont have the setbacks. Small exercises all day long is way better than all of them all at once. Mentally you will feel better too. I was told to trust my implants and i do. Respect the process and you will be happy with the results. Even the setbacks are tolerable

wink
    • Posted

Phew - I've NEVER done a mile!  Legs were already bad when we got the treadmill so I've always been limited and never done more than about 12 minutes walking.  I'm building up from starting at 2 minutes and am now up to 8 but will keep doing a little more until I get there:-)))  Also doing the circuits on the bike, but what shocked me was when I got the wii out to do the balance exercises.  Did 5 minutes and calves ached LOL!  So that's getting build up slowly too:-)))  But it's all positive stuff, being able to increase fitness bit by bit.  When the other knee is done I'm going to start squats too!:-))))  I'm SO encouraged that I can reach a level of fitness I never even dreamed about a few years ago!:-))))

• Posted

Chris,

Thats great! Thats the progress. Take your time! If we shut down the negative thoughts for what they are ie. I hurt or ache today, ok, then point out the good things like I'm on my two feet and not stuck in bed etc . I guess I'm a count my blessings kind of person. I have concerns about this spot on my left inner knee,but i know the hardware is ok. So, i keep going forward. I HAVE to stretch or i ache so much more. I noticed this w going to work. Im up early, dont stretch. By 10am im aching. I dont get off until 330p this week and by then, im exhausted so i have to stretch b4 bed which helps me get enough relief to sleep. If we listen to our bodies and challenge them, we improve.

I was all in from the day i said yes to surgery. No one sees the struggle, they do see "I'm walking great". Stay positive. I feel compelled to help people see the REAL recovery but let them see we get BETTER with hard work

• Posted

Spot on AuntEG!  I strongly believe that if you focus on every tiny milestone you feel good!  Going from crutches to sticks and when you go to one stick and you can carry a cup of tea from the kitchen!  And when you start noticing that something needs dusting.  And can leave your sticks OUTSIDE the bathroom, and so many many little things that make you aware that you are moving forward.  I KNOW it's not the same for everyone, but personally I found the first three weeks the hardest because I was so limited what I could do but I think the turning point for me was just before that when I propped my sticks up near the recument bike and got on it and did two whole revolutions LOL!  That was my start to getting back to fitness:-)))  When the physio was obviously impressed with me yesterday - it was funny - he looked impressed at the bend and then was impressed with the strength and then asked me how I knew what the bend was and he was awfully impressed that I'd got a goniometer, and his level of impression went up and up as I talked about the exercise bike and treadmill and then I said to him that when I'd seen the surgeon I had told him 'I will do my bit to make this as successful as it can be' and his smile got bigger and bigger.  Here's hoping for the next one LOL!  Pre-op is 15th May:-))))  Not sure husband is quite so impressed at being the slave for the first few weeks again, but he'll cope and we'll be able to do so much more afterwards!:-))))

• Posted

Hahaha Chris! The part about dusting etc. Yep, thats how it goes. If u dont restrict yourself and go easy, u find yourself doing more and more. All the little things add up. I found that was the #1 antidote to the depression and sadness. We have sooo much time on our hands to THINK. Stuff can run away and we're crazy. Instead, those little can dos make a difference. I even do calf raises (20) &squats, as low as i can which initially was 1 inch now, like sitting in a chair) while im waiting for my coffee to brew.

I love your upbeat attitude. We both know its not all unicorns and rainbows, but isnt it better- not necessarily easier- to try thinking up vs down. Even like wriggling your toes if ur stuck in the chair...My struggle has been real, it is for all of us. We help each other thru the forum.

I am glad to be back to work, albiet not full time yet. I am exhausted but happy i am trying. My left leg was swollen 2 inches bigger after 8hrs with stocking/compression hose on. But this am, its not. I want to take the day off but instead, i give myself permission to lay here for a few extra hours and then get going. After all, i did the calf and squat routine already!

I feel awful for the people who have had complications. Seems like we all get bleeding,bruising, swelling. But femoral nerve damage (tourniquet on leg compressing nerve and blood flow), improper seating of mechanical part r/t cement failure. Long lists from what i read. I worked on scar tissue relentlessly AND painfully. My right leg is 145bend, almost touches bum. My left is 140 when not swollen w full extension on both. I couldnt have done it wo a physio (PT). So sadness 4 peeps who dont have one.

Wow, i got long winded! Oh well, heres to a great day despite the left knee burn!

:D

• Posted

Phew - you've got some bend there!!!  Now you realise, AuntEG that you've just issued me with a challenge LOL!  I HAVEN'T got a physio but now feel obliged to get to a comparative bend LOL!  My physio rather thought I didn't need to push it more, but I DO want to do squats when the other knee is done, so it's going to help and it's hardly much trouble doing the bends on the recliner while I watch tv!  Today walked around two supermarkets so just did the bike when I got home and then the balance stuff on the wii, but tomorrow will be back to treadmill as well.  I think I must come over as crazy but all of this whole procedure, from the moment I decided to get a referral for the knees, has all been an overall positive experience for me.  Every little bit I've seen as a step forward.  I was excited about going into hospital the first time, and am excited going in again - it's all leading to my new life!!!  And today I sold my mobility scooter - am NOT going to need that again!  But yes, seriously, I SO feel for those who get complications that lead to bad pain and problems moving!  Not only does it make me feel very lucky, but my heart goes out to them and I wish I could help!

You are so right about the exercises - you can do these at any time.  Before I get up in the mornings I bend the knee so it's level with the unoperated one and I can feel a slight stretch on it, and leg lifts while sitting on the recliner and anything anywhere really - every little bit helps!

Yes, I wish you and everyone a great day there.  I pulled my right knee this morning so went round the supermarket as though I had tourettes as 'ouch' came out from time to time LOL!  Don't you love it LOL!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.