Partial left knee replacement 15 days ago but right is also bone on bone

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum after having a partial left knee replacement 15 days ago recovery is going as they told me (slowly) with a little progress on the bend and straighten every day.

My worry now is my right knee as this also requires replacement and I am not sure how long it may last. Are there any braces that I could wear daily that will help protect the joint and allow sufficient recovery time for my left and delay the inevitable?

I am 53 years old and having just had my left done as you can guess I am not rushing back in at the minute!

Any advice welcome

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I've just had a total knee replacement and as you say recovery is slow and extremely painful.

have you had cortisone injections in your other knee? And if you look online there are some really good knee braces you can buy

I know before I even think of having my other knee done I will  buy any device I can to avoid another Op ...even if I have to take out a bank loan ...lol

good luck in your recovery 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your reply, I have been down the cortisone route with injections every 3 to 4 months which lasted for about a month but became less effective the more I had.

I will ask the physio next week to see what they think about knee support . Both of my knees have gone in the medial compartment. Hence to transfer a bit more load to the outside of my right for a while may not be a bad idea.

• Posted

Well I hope everything works out for you... I guess it's early days for me but I will be glad when I can bend my new knee enough to drive again 

I'll never be running a Marathon but at least I will feel human again

all the best 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Robert

I am nearly five weeks post TKR; my consultant visited me after the operation and told me it would be six weeks of living hell - he was not wrong! I too am in rush to go through this option again however I fear for my left knee.

Prior to the operation my consultant gave me a knee brace and my experience is that it was of no help at all. My physio also agreed that this kind of brace (3 sizes to fit all) was of little assistance but that one made specifically for your own knee could possibly help.

Sorry not to be more positive about the brace.

Keep exercising your right knee too.

Tracey

• Posted

Hi Tracey

I'm just 3 weeks into my recovery fron TKR..so another 3 weeks of hell

and these blooming stockings ... "Enough said"

Jean 

• Posted

Thanks Tracey,

I thought that may be the case I will keep researching on the brace, at least I will be a standing more upright now I have my left done Lol.

• Posted

Same here jean almost 3 weeks in for me and although I don't have a great deal of pain the tightness and the stockings are driving me insane. If it hadn't been for this forum I think I would have completely lost the plot x
  • Posted

I had a partial replacement July 23.  Prior to this I wore a custom made for he brace for one year.  I found it helped at first, but at the end it wasn't doing anything.  I've had a. Bit of a set back...I was almost pain free and I'm not sure what I did but I have pain now when I first stand up.  My physio has given me more exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee and I hope they are helping.  It's still far from as painful as before, so I can live with it.  I had more than - 130 degree bend after my first month,  which I understand is good.  I still have great mobility, it's just I have this touch of pain.  I'm optimistic it will get better.  I think patience is important for sure.  It took me a few weeks before I felt I had the drugs, etc. through me from the surgery.  Getting old sucks. Lol
  • Posted

More cortisone injections, more bone break down...

My right knee is the worst and all worse since messy hip replacement, the body is never as good as it was with our own parts..... I use a knee support, pain lotion, homeopathic. and acupuncture often.

PRP Prolotherapy works good for the knees.....

As long as one can bend knees, there is cartlidge there, once they gut out the knee all is gone....

I'm doing ALL in my power to not go thru this surgery. I'm older and glad I had a good full life.J

• Posted

His is a FYI....in Canada where I had my surgery, they don't use the stockings at all.  They put us on blood thinners for 10 dated.  Interesting...
    • Posted

Hi they also put us on blood thinners for 2 weeks post op as well as the stockings over here it's strange the way different countries do things x
  • Posted

I wish we had blood thinners instead of these horrible stockings.they are so uncomfortable 

Jean

• Posted

Jean, here in the U.S., California anyway, my surgeon used compression stockings after hip replacement and aspirin therapy as the blood thinner....I think that's probably standard here....

Yes, they were a nuisance, but necessary I guess, so in time you'll be done with the stockings...and we forget it all.

Medical systems are all so different.

• Posted

Yes I agree I already take Aspirin because I have Angina and as you say the stockings are important ...only 3 more weeks to go.... My knee was going really well but last night and today the pain has been really bad...I guess we all have good and bad days

so onwards and upwards

jean

finding this site and reading other peoples experiences has really helped me understand what I'm going through

things can only get better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.