partner has pains in chest and top of stomach for over a year

Posted , 5 users are following.

my partner who is 32 years old has been suffering with pains in her chest for the last 12 months. they worsen when she settles down and are now getting to the point where she cannot sleep. after numerous visits to the doctor she has been gived medication for vitamin d deficency and reflux. after taking this medication for the last 4 weeks the problem is still persisting and if anything is getting worse. anyone have any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I think I might consider changing doctors. Four weeks and "the problem is still persisting and if anything is getting worse." 

Good luck, Barbara

• Posted

they keep saying its anxiety but its worse when she tries to sleep,
  • Posted

The GP should have referred her to a gastronterologist by now, particularly if the problem is worse when she is lying down.

One way suggested to avoid reflux is to cut carbohydrates - always worth a try in the meantime.

• Posted

she has been prescribed lansoprazole by the doctor but doesnt seem to be having any effect whatsoever, doesnt seem to be orientated around food???
    • Posted

Lansoprazole doesn't stop non-acid reflux which can also cause discomfort. In fact, even if it were acid reflux, it has been found that PPIs (lansoprozole is one) either do not work or are only partly effective in 30% of patients.

It may not apparently be orientated around food - reflux doesn't only happen just after a meal. There may be "mechanical" reasons for stomach contents returning to the gullet - which can only be identified by proper investigations. 

It is possible, too, that the GP may be correct about anxiety but that still requires proper management to relieve the anxiety, which may well be compounded by a non-expressed fear of what is causing it. 

• Posted

ive just spoke to nhs direct on this matter, do believe it is partly anxiety as the pains have gone on for so long but when she is fast asleep at the side of me and she jolts because of a pain in her chest thats for a differant reason which the doctors seem to not want to investigate
    • Posted

If she's apparently got pain when fast asleep - I don't quite see how anxiety is playing a part!

Good luck on your journey to get it properly investigated.

• Posted

this is exactly my point because this is what they keep fobbing her of with, thankyou
    • Posted

Is it always the same GP? If so, try another in the practice. Or even change practice. 

And still - good luck!

• Posted

Hi Timothy, yes your partner should be referred to a gastroenterologist as she could have a sore or something like that in her stomach or something in the stomach / food pipe that is causing the pain. I would ask for an endoscopy and that might reveal something. It's a painless procedure that only takes a few minutes. Also she could have a complaint called costochondritis or tietzes syndrome. Both of these conditions should clear up very quickly but maybe if she is anxious and therefore very tight across the chest that may delay the healing process. These are just ideas of mine, I'm not medically qualified. All the best christina 
  • Posted

If it is not responding to acid-suppressing medication she needs to be evaluated by a gastroenterologist so I would advise her to return to the GP and ask for a referral. It's very possible that she may have a hiatus hernia, for example, in which case a diagnosis is essential for getting the right relief. Hernias can cause pain and they don't always cause acid reflux. Also poor posture can cause this type of pain. I am afraid if a GP suspects you are a anxious person then that is the diagnosis they will give you over and over, even if it isn't. She needs to be firm. Good luck x
  • Posted

Hi can u anatomicaly describe the pain area and the sort of pain

Sharp

dull

spasmodic

persistent

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.