People use this website incorrectly

Posted , 5 users are following.

Makes me giggle some of the things i come across on this website!!

I read some things and i'm like, 'just go to a dr'. There are some people on here who are trying to upload images of certain parts of their body to get medical advice from people who aren't medically trained it's like JUST GO TO A DR. 

I feel this forum is more about finding people who have a similar issue/problem as you, and to connect on an emotional level, to get support from people. Not to ask them what this is? what that is? etc.

what do you think? or am I just being mean haha

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

People use this site for different things, including whether or not they should see a doctor (which isn't as easy as it should be for some people, depending on their location or circumstances).  I'm constantly surprised by how people get worried about things that look or sound completely normal to me, or conversely will do everything they can except see a doctor when they really seem to need medical attention.

Some of the forums have hundreds of pictures of people's genitals, but as long as there's no way to identify the poster, I'm not sure I see a problem with that.  I can understand that lots of people won't want to post pics, but I don't think's it's using the website incorrectly.

• Posted

Katie - Some of the people on these forums are not blessed like we are in australia, NZ, or England, where you can walk into ER and for FREE get a consultation with a junior Dr, who will call in a senior Dr or even a consultant if he thinks its serious enough all for no cost to the patient. 

Although I must admit having a junior staff member tell you there is nothing wrong, and nothing to worry about, I dis-agreed with junior a heartbeat of 30BPM is not normal, and not a pinched nerve in the neck, consultant who overheard me agreed with me in my husbands case, is more than a little disconcerting and worrying.

I also must point out that I have made a study of my husband's heart condition, starting with library books, I read the local library dry, then contacted my GP for his cardiology books which I borrowed one at a time, then started reading Dr to Dr papers on the internet, university sites mainly, nearly scared myself silly, but nothing really fitted, consultant finally explained to me, husband a little different, as he has not had a heart atttack, does not have clogged arteries and will probably never need a stent, but he does have serious heart failure, cause unknown, but i suspect working in the 2011 brisbane floods, with contaminated waters, a month later he was seriously ill with heart failure.

• Posted

I think it is a useful forum. One does benefit from the views of others regarding one's health problem and also usefully contribute for the benefit of others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.