People who have come out the other side

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am now in the end of my twenties and suffering my third bout of depression/anxiety in 6 years. Life is currently good and has been for the last couple of years, so to be cast into a state of severe depression and anxiety has been incredibly scary. After breaking down in the doctors and declaring i could not cope any more, i have been told to continue taking the Citalopram i have taken for the past couple of years (although i have been very laxed with taking pills over the last month). I am also taking 5mg of diazepam 3 times a day. I am now just about coping, however the days are horrible and i can't face work. Some hours i can smile, some hours i just cry. I have been in this position before, and after time have got through these horrific feelings, however this is little comfort at the moment.

I would be really keen to hear any words of support or encouragement or words from people who have suffered severely like i have in the past.

All the best

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

This sounds so corny, but have you tried talking to someone when you feel desperate? It's saved me a load of times, I was just so embarrassed to admit I was sad and could not cope, I told someone and felt totally supported, I wasn't crazy I just needed a hand, I think maybe you do too?

remind yourself what a wonderful person you are, you are just in the grips of an awful illness, it is not your fault, you just need a step up to help you.

Eco, your not at fault for anything, you are currently just sad and upset and maybe can't see an end to it? You will get through and you can get better, please trust me xxxxxxxx

• Posted

Thankyou for your kind and wonderfull words, they are so well recieved.  Im blessed to have  a wonderfull family around me that despite being very distressed are doing everything they can for me.  Sometimes times seing the light at the end of the tunnel can be tough, i just pray that my condition improves and doesent worsen (that does scare me). xxx
    • Posted

That feeling is normal because you are not in the state of mind to see beyond that, I have been there so many times, I found that giving myself gifts worked, nothing flash, just a bag of sweets in the cupboard, a nice tea, a new cosmetic or anything, if I can stop all the dark thoughts and reason them out, I can have my reward, it really helped, but please sit down with someone and tell them what's going on, you will be surprised how that can help honey! Depression is an illness as real as any other, your not an attention seeker your not just a bit upset, you are ill, and you need as much help as anyone else, don't give up, smile as much as you can and try your best to make depression your past, because you are stronger for fighting it this long, it hasn't won, don't let it xxxxxx
  • Posted

Hi there

I am 30. I have had a few bouts of depression and anxiety over the last 6 years. I have been eextremely happy over the past couple of years. Now depression and anxiety has hit me like a ton of bricks. Your not alone in feeling like this, I find it a sort of reasurrance that its 'normal'how im feeling.

i was thinking 2 weeks ago how lucky and happy I was to have 2 beautiful babies and a husband I loved. Then I seemed to wake up the next morning and want to leave it all, run away and ive had very negative thoughts since. the love for my husband and life has gone.

I have felt like this before and got through it and its difficult rremembering how I did it. Mornings are the worst for me as I wake up and bang the thoughts are there.then I spend all day chasing round my thoughts and by tea time I feel like im starting to cope then its bedtime again and the cycle starts again.

my gp doubled my sertraline to 100mg and gave me lorazepam when I broke down in his room and couldnt cope. 

is there something thats triggered your illness this time? For me I think itx because im moving house and I was worried about it.

I have a very supportive mother in law and a few friends who help and one of my sisters.

I try and keep myself as busy as possible and try to force some food down as im struggling to eat.

im interested in how you get on and how you cope. We will recover. Again. 

• Posted

Hey, 

Sounds like we are in the same boat, like you i feel it very helpfull to tall to people who are going through the mill the same as i am.  I have a friend who is on the same dose of sertraline as you, amd she swears buy it, so just give it some time to kick.  I find the mornings the hardest as well, as my head is full of worry and dread about will i get worse, what if...... etc. I find that the more i talk the more i feel better, just taking my mind away from feeling ill (which is like running a marathon with an anvil) helps.  I aswell have family around me and they have been a god send, i dont know what i will do without them.  I also broke down in the Dr's last week, told him i couldent cope anymore and that life wasent worth living, cried immensly and felt like i could never feel better. Ita now a week on and i still feel terrible but im better.  Every moment of doubt i just yell myelf i will be better! Stick in there and message me whenever with questions or for moral support!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and I'm sorry I'm not sure why my post was entered twice. Don't worry about your spelling. 

I also feel slightly better than when I went to the doc but still terrible. Talking does help I agree especially to those that have had depression and anxiety. 

Take care and your welcome to message me too

• Posted

Hi there

I am 30. I have had a few bouts of depression and anxiety over the last 6 years. I have been eextremely happy over the past couple of years. Now depression and anxiety has hit me like a ton of bricks. Your not alone in feeling like this, I find it a sort of reasurrance that its 'normal'how im feeling.

i was thinking 2 weeks ago how lucky and happy I was to have 2 beautiful babies and a husband I loved. Then I seemed to wake up the next morning and want to leave it all, run away and ive had very negative thoughts since. the love for my husband and life has gone.

I have felt like this before and got through it and its difficult rremembering how I did it. Mornings are the worst for me as I wake up and bang the thoughts are there.then I spend all day chasing round my thoughts and by tea time I feel like im starting to cope then its bedtime again and the cycle starts again.

my gp doubled my sertraline to 100mg and gave me lorazepam when I broke down in his room and couldnt cope. 

is there something thats triggered your illness this time[img]http://s8.patient.media/forums/emoticons/undefined[/img] For me I think itx because im moving house and I was worried about it.

I have a very supportive mother in law and a few friends who help and one of my sisters.

I try and keep myself as busy as possible and try to force some food down as im struggling to eat.

im interested in how you get on and how you cope. We will recover. Again. 

• Posted

I am currently off sick for 3rd month with my 4th episode of depression , the book depressive illness curse of the strong by dr tim cantopher helped me to recognise my personality which over a long period of time has helped me move forward all be it slowly .i do not have the personality to be a laid back person so persevere with medication cbt and mindfulness meditation all of which makes just being me in the mire of it all bloody hard.i have a soulmate who gets me , a handful of super friends who now understand a good day and bad days and I have been honest about my depression at work , all this has taken approx 9yrs so far but I refuse to let this debilitating illness beat me and I won't be defined by it either. I am currently pushing for proper psychiatric assessment as I think I have bipolar traits but that is another issue . I really wish u well 
    • Posted

Hi,

Thankyou for sharing your story with me. I can relate to exactly how you are feeling. Your heart and resolve in not letting this condition beat you, is sign of someone with bravery and courage.  I know just how hard it is to get through the day sometimes, and to keep your head held high is one of the hardest things you can do.  Im not sure if you are in the UK or not but my experience with the NHS and depression/anxiety has not been great.  I made the decision to get a refferal to a private psychiatrist, at a rate of about £90 for 30 minutes.  In that time i dont recieve conselling but he explains to me what is happening inside my brain and reviews my medication to ensure i am on course for a recovery. At the end of the day it is what ever helps you through the day, but i thought i would share my experience with you.  All the best!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.