Perforated bowel no operation needed after finding out i have diverticulosis, Need help and advice!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everybody, this has all come as a total shock after narrowly swerving a bowel op and a colostomy bag.

Had a dodgy tummy for a good few years, it would come and go, get constipated then have diarrhoea. Went docs several times and had blood, stool samples and everything fine. But it came and went so was ok for a few months and would come back, only go doctors when it was causing bad discomfort.

2 weeks today had a mild pain in lower left side, had a horrendous nights sleep, so decided to go straight to doctors. Long and short he had a feel around and sent me straight to hospital, this obviously frightened the life out of me.

Was admitted to hospital and spent 5 days on intravenous drip and antibiotics.

Had been told I had diverticulosis and a sac had caused a perforation in my bowel Luckily for me the drugs worked! 

My main problem is what do i eat now, I've researched loads and just need a bit of advice from someone who has dealt with this themselves.

Ive got a slight pain again but unsure if I'm introducing food to early, not quick enough?

Is it trail and error to you find what causes problems?

This is all totally new to me, i didn't even know what this was until i was diagnosed. 

Doctors discharged me with 2 weeks worth of antibiotics and sent me on my way with limited info, feel out of my depth tbh!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Im back at work already as i really have no there choice!!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.