Peri classes

Posted , 15 users are following.

Is there a reason why us ladies don't seem to be properly educated in all things menopausal? I remember having lessons early on in comprehensive school with regards to periods and having babies, so why aren't we pre warned about this? I naively thought that being menopausal meant you had to start carrying a small fan around with you!!! Surely if we were told what to expect it wouldn't be such a shock and not half as terrifying?

4 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know!!!! I stupidly just thought you got a hot sweat in the middle of the night and your periods stopped.... Oh if only... sad
  • Posted

Hi Louise, I totally agree and have said to women I know loads...I would have got fitter in my 30s and prepared.....waving a fan sounds lovely compared to this um experience lol
    • Posted

The sad thing is, I was totally super fit until a back injury meant I couldn't do my beloved zumba anymore! That's when all my problems started.
  • Posted

You are so right. I feel so out of control. I know that I need to be strong and power through it but it just seems easier right now to curl up in a ball. I didn't know that I was going to loose all rational thinking. I am going through a divorce and having to start a new life for me and my 12 year old son and met a very nice man. But I will drive him away if I can't get a grip on this. Until I came across this forum I thought I was just weak. I stayed hone from work again today. And I actually was in a battle with my head because I need to work. But my hormones won again. I am so disappointed in myself. But I am scared I will start crying at work.
    • Posted

Don't be ashamed to cry. It does me good. It's a great way of releasing some of that tension. I never try and stop myself now. If people can't accept it, stuff 'em! What you need are some really good friends around you to offer the support you need. You will get used to these feelings and be able to cope with them better, but talk about it as much as you can, don't bottle things up. It's hard not to look at this in a negative way. I have trouble with this myself. As time goes on and it becomes 'normal', you'll find yourself thinking more positively. I hope this has helped. All the best to you x
    • Posted

Thank you so much. Unfortunately I don't have any friends. Mostly just acquaintances. I think they just got tired of hearing it so I don't talk to anyone. I just stay in my bedroom alone and cry. I am 49 and due to financial reasons I live with parents. Most people will just say I need to be strong. My nights are ok but mornings are really bad. I hope talking to all these other woman will help me. I am truly very scared.
    • Posted

Well, you'll always have someone to talk to on this site x
  • Posted

I completely agree. I thought Menopause was only some hot flashes after you stopped having your period. To this day I have not had one hot flash. If I had known what life would be like for me I would have tried to prepare the best I could. Also I might not have gone to the ER every month for 6 months telling all the doctors I wAs dying of a heart attack. We need to be more prepared. I'm definitely educating my 21 year old daughter about what is to look for when she is my age

Debbie❤️

• Posted

Funny you mentioned this. My 11 year old brought Permission slip home from school yesterday for sexual and family education. I remember taking the class also in school. So it would make sense to have pre/menopausal classes offered since it is part of reproduction. I believe that docs didn't know enough about it and a lot still don't. Menopausal information is still being discovered to this day and I don't think there will ever be enough information. I had no clue of declining and imbalanced hormones can literally break our minds and bodies down. If I had never looked into hormones and found the blogs and forums, I would have fallen off the deep end. Its nothing more frustrating than going to docs after docs feeling sick to be told there is nothing wrong when clearly you know it is.
    • Posted

Can you imagine if all these young girls know what to expect it would scare the heck out of them. My sister went through menopause and didn't experience anything. Why isn't there a medicine to help us out. We got the short end of the stick. It's very scary
    • Posted

It would give them time to prepare though. Also, they'd know that they weren't alone experiencing it. Knowledge is power!
    • Posted

Yes some of theses symptoms can be very scary, it makes us feel like we have something else really bad going on with are bodies. Not fun!!!!! 
    • Posted

My sister is going through it now and have some symptoms but she hasn't expeirenced anything like I have. My daughters are 11 and 20, I tell my 20 year old what I'm going through. She may not expierence it like me but if she does I want her to know some of the things that can happen to her. This whole thing blindsided me. It hit me overnight and I had no idea what was going on. My mom experienced it pretty bad but never went to doctors because she don't like them so she never knew anything about it. When I tell her how im feeling she thinks back and able to tell me her experiences related to the same symptoms.
    • Posted

Exactly, Jamie. I think you've done the right thing. Your daughter probably doesn't particularly want to hear this right now, as she's still young and believes that this is AGES away, but we all know how quickly that time flies. When she gets there, she'll thank you for the preparation x
    • Posted

Im sure hoping so. I take her to docs appointments with me and everything.
    • Posted

First saw my Gynae about cystis and fibroids. Now he has confirmed Meno - he doesn't want to know. His attitude is 'cos I can't breed I'm no longer of use!twisted

I am beginning to wonder if some of the problems we face are down to the modern diet? Just heard a talk about it. Now I LOVE all things dairy, milk, cheese, yoghurt, you name it. But what they were saying is that modern dairy cows are so full of hormones (to keep them producing milk even when pregant) that they are passing it on to us and screwing with our hormones. I think they might have something there - unfortunately. It is certainly true that women who traditionally eat less or no dairy and meat have fewer or no hot flushes.

• Posted

I believe that has some truth to it. There has always been issues with hormones for centuries but I don't think it was as bad as it is now. So much of our meat and dairy products coming from the animals have been raised oh hormones and antibiotics that enough consumption of it would have to get our systems over a period of time. If it wasn't so, we would not have the option of buying products saying that it was raised with no hormones and antibiotics. So I can certainly see a connection.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.