Peri menopausal melt down can I get hormone blood test on NHS?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

Like so many posts I've read on here I am getting horrendous symptoms in the 2 week run up to whenever my period decides to show, this is what's happening to me.

I am 47 always been regular every 28 days

I had one very late period 4 months ago then another on my next due day now it comes on day 32 up to day 38.

So in the 2 weeks leading up to my bleed I am anxious, weepy, angry, shaking, I have no worth, I'm filled with dread and doom. It builds up to the point of me feeling like I'm having a breakdown.

I could never get on with the contraceptive pill, it made my pmt too bad.

I am going to force myself to the nurse ( the nurse who did my smear advised me to see a nurse practitioner rather than a GP) this week. I would like to know if I can request a hormone level blood test on the NHS? I know my visit will result in me in tears and struggling to explain myself.

I'm scared to death of HRT but I can't go on like this. I prefer the natural route and don't really take anything other than pain relief but I'm already dreading work next month and feel I need to run away and live in a cave alone.

Any advice on what to ask for? or should I go private? will that cost the earth?

Sorry for the ramblings, wit's end and all that xxx

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Planet girl, I have just signed up on this forum and saw your posting. I understand your anxiety and mood swings, its completely natural. I am 58 and am just about seeing the light at the end of this tunnel. Our hormones do change a lot since our progeterone levels or estrogen levels drop significantly and our bodies struggle to understand the reasons, thus the mood swings, anxiety and depressive thoughts. Heavy bleeding, periods every 2 weeks or every 35-45 days, our cycles will be in upheavel.

I asked my GP that I wanted the Hormone test on NHS and my Doctor agreed, thankfully hormones were all fine.

I learnt this the hard way since I discovered when I was 54 that I had fibroids too, so I changed my diet completely, started Yoga again and became more active. I stopped almost all dairy, no artificial proceesed foods, started drinking Apple cider vinegar with lemon juice one a day. Only fish and fresh vegetables. Try to cook one meal from fresh. Drink lots of water. Take Iron supplements if you are anaemic and yes get your blood works done too. Cinammon only Organic from Ceylon or Sri Lanka, will help reduce bleeding. Also chia seeds very good to ease excess blood flow. Drink herbal teas like Dandelion root, nettle tea.

Hope this helps. These will help reduce the symptoms. Please post back if you feel any difference.

• Posted

HI Suzie,

Thanks so much for your reply. 

Lots of wonderful info.

xx

• Posted

Hi Ladies, 

Just to let you all know I have booked in for the Bio identicals consultation.

I have skipped the GP altogether and will keep you all posted.

It's going to cost me my holiday money so as long as the sun pops out this month sometime I'll get over it.

XXX

• Posted

As I said in another discussion. Please research all the risks of bioidentical hormone therapy, as you would traditional HRT before you make any decisions. There is no research on the risks of BHRT as compared to a lot of research and scientific evidence on HRT for which the risks are well established. I have read that The International Menopause Society, American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada, The Endocrine Society, the North American Menopause Society (NAMS), United States Food and Drug Administration, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, American Medical Association, American Cancer Society and the Mayo Clinic have released statements that there is a lack of evidence that the benefits and risks of bioidentical hormones are different from well-studied nonbioidentical counterparts; until such evidence is produced the risks should be treated as if they are similar; and that compounded hormone products may have additional risks related to compounding. Custom-compounded BHRT is only available in the US, I believe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.