Perimanipouse

Posted , 11 users are following.

Has anyone take Ativan for stress and depression and does it work ,my doctore prescribed it for me but I just don’t want start something and get other symptoms from side effects 😤😤

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I've had Ativan for insomnia caused by perimenopause.  It isn't prescribed for depression that I know of being that it is a anti-anxiety medication.  It really isn't recommended to take everyday as it can be addictive.  I know the side effects I had from it were short term memory problems the next morning....pretty noticeable while I was at work.  I would look into the side effects and usage of Ativan online (find a reputable website smile  Personally, I would take it sparingly. 

• Posted

Hi May, yes, I've taken it and it helped me sleep and also helps with Anxiety. I'm now on Colazapam to help with my Anxiety but I prefer the Ativan but my doctor wont let me switch over. She say's Ativan isn't used for long term use. Ha ha ha.... Wait until she hits menopause

• Posted

Yes I take it as needed on very bad days for anxiety. It’s not really for depression per se but anxiety and depression are interlinked of course. I take a very small dose- .25. It just stops the panic attacks. Can make you sleepy if you take more. And yes people can get addicted so not really for everyday use. But I prefer Ativan to antidepressants which make me feel weird and not myself.
  • Posted

Yes. Took it for many years. Although it's intended for short term use. Called it my happy pill. When taken off of it, I was in the midst of peri and didn't realize it. The withdrawals were SO awful, but I'm sure peri made it worse. If my gp will put me on it again, I'll be taking it after my next visit. My anxiety has become so bad (nearly menopausal) no periods in almost a year. GAD runs in my mother's family. My 89 year old grandma has taken Ativan for years.

• Posted

I felt like a zombie with no energy to get out of bed after taking Ativan. Worst experience of my life it. Also made me forget how to play the piano, and I was supposed to plan my wedding but after taking this pill, everything fell apart.
  • Posted

Hi may, I was prescribed it last year when my anxiety was unbearable. I did stop it cold turkey after 3 weeks and had strange feelings that I wouldn't like to go through again but only take it in an emergency now. It's the only med that worked for me just wish it wasn't so addictive.

• Posted

Thanks everyone 💕for replaying I think I will stay away from it ?I don’t want start having side effects and new symptoms ,I have enough things to deal with 😤😤

• Posted

If you take a tiny dose .25-.5 it’s fine-there is no drugged up state at that level. You will feel the same but will take the edge off the anxiety. And don’t take it everyday just on the days you feel anxiety is high. There is no withdrawal at this level either. It’s the only thing that works for me. I hate all drugs and I don’t even drink alcohol. But everything else I tried made me feel like a zombie and I have 3 kids under 13 to raise! So no can do. 
  • Posted

I've been taking Ativan as needed for 3 years or so. I'm one of the most paranoid people when it comes to taking meds. I am happy to say I have never had a bad side effect from it. I am cautious not to over use it. But it works great for anxiety attacks and sleeping. My dosage is .5mg and it's been plenty enough for me. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi bri77 , I was prescribed 0.5 too I might try if I have any side effect I will stop it ,I will take it only when my anxity  is high 
  • Posted

Well my original reply is somewhere in purgatory awaiting moderator approval. That's prob bc I attached a link. It is to a Dr. Evans on Youtube.. type in dr Evan's and perimenopause. Shes a naturopath. Her advice is already helping me tremendously.i have a history with ativan and antidepressants for postpartum after having my 3rd of 4 children. I was losing my mind with anxiety due to weird peri related symptoms. In a week, knock on wood..... I'm feeling great relief from aches, heart palps, anxiety, muscle twinges. My body must clearly be deficient and I was not taking enough supplements to support my body thru the changes. But yes.. in crisis..I have xanax on hand as a means to an end when my insomnia has been outrageous. That is always the beginning of the end for me... no sleep/nighttime panic. Best of luck. Keep us posted. I completely relate to your medication worries and the anxiety you already have.

• Posted

Clarification bc I cant figure out how to edit my reply!!. My postpartum was 12 yrs ago. but my peri issues are what I'm struggling with now for about the past 6-8 months.

• Posted

Ativan is my best friend.  I have taken .5 since my mid 20s (I am now 51).  It is a life saver during times of panic.  And it also helps with sleep.  Especially with a cocktail 😂

• Posted

Also.... there have been extended periods where I have not taken Ativan.  Never had a problem quitting the drug. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.