Perimenapause--I feel like I'm dying

Posted , 12 users are following.

The night sweats and all the other related symptoms started about 3 weeks ago.  I went to the doctor and was prescribed estrogen.  I thought I would feel better but I don't. I don't want to spend time with my family or anyone else--but I don't want to be alone.  Scared this is going to continue for years.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

First time poster here and I’ve got no pearls of wisdom for you, only empathy and understanding.  I literally just layed out a towel to sleep on for the first time and decided to check into chat groups.  I read your post first and I could have written it myself!  I feel the exact same way!  You’re not alone....

I had a few nights of sweating a couple months ago and it stopped, but came back with a vengeance about 10 days ago.  It’s like I’m sleeping in a sauna.  And I feel the same as you about not feeling like being with anyone.  I was visiting my parents after they returned home from 5 months down south.  Traveled over an hour to get there and then suddenly felt I needed to leave and go home immediately.  It was like a panic feeling...this is not me!

So we can’t BOTH be dying, right?

• Posted

My hot flashes have just started back too!  And I get sick almost every time I go visit family.  It’s the weirdest thing.
  • Posted

Good Evening Ladies,

If it is any consolation, I do not believe either one of you are dyingsmile  I do know that it feels like it though.  If you do not mind a little advice, I will tell you both to educate yourself on the symptoms of peri. I would hate for either of you to be blindsided by them, as I was.  I was completely ignorant to them.  I just thought you had a hot flash or two and then went about your life (shows you how wrong I can be, huh?).  When the heart palpitations and dizzy spells came, I thought I was dying to the extent that I went to the ER and doctor three times in one month.  I wish I would have known, maybe I would not have panicked so much...and panic I did!  

Hang in there...you will have good days and bad days.  They won't all be bad, I promise.  I find that sleeping with an ice pack on my head does help with the night sweats.  Our freezer is now a quarter full of ice packs!  If anxiety or depression starts to get the best of you, do not be afraid to talk to your doctor about an SSRI to help get you through the roughest part.  An anti-depressant has really helped me with both the generalized anxiety and panic attacks.  

Remember that we are here and we are all in this togethersmile

• Posted

I was exactly the same as you at first didn't know what was happening and like Karen I went to a and e 3 times, the anxiety and depression hot me like a ton of bricks, didn't want to see anyone or go anywhere, I opted for antidepressant SSRI, it has helped me enormously with the anxiety, hang in there girls we're all here to support each other x

• Edited

I thought the same. I got on the combipatch and everything settled. I had horrific symptoms. I had suicidal thoughts, anxiety, depression, hot flashes, heart palpitations and just felt lousy. It was a horrible feeling and i didnt want to socialize. I also got on Levothyroxine for a low thyroid. Its been 1 year and 4 months and only IBS, which is severe if I do not eat healthy. But things do settle, I never thought they would. Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.