Perimenopausal problems

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi! I don't know if this is related to perimenopause or not, would someone please tell me if it is or not.

My husband cooks delicious meals. I really enjoy his cooking. Lately though when he cooks I have not been able to stand the smell of it. No matter what it is, I get so angry at the smell of the food cooking and I just can't stand the smell of it. Does anyone else have a smell problem??

And lately also I have been having a problem listening to music. I get halfway through a song that I love to listen to and I'm done. After listening halfway through I just don't want to listen anymore. It's so weird.

And maybe it's just the age I am but things just don't excite me anymore. Like I used to really like the Marvel movies and couldn't wait for the next one to come out but I just don't care anymore. I'm sad about that. Things don't excite me the way they used to.

Does anyone experience such things??

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Nothing really excites me anymore, It's really sad!! Could care less about shopping and actually hate going to the store. I used to enjoy going to the movies but this last year I haven't felt the need to go. Same with reading, I would enjoy a book or magazine but now just no interest. I don't know what's going on! I still like to swim so that's a good sign because I really need to keep that up!

• Posted

Welcome to Menopause

smells, music, people, food, places

you name it

it isnt the same

rewiring of our brains at this time

fun times

xoxo

• Posted

It really does rewire the brain.... I could not do movies for 2 years or so, finally getting better about it. Riding/driving in a car also, for a couple of years was torture. Vertigo off and on....especially around my cycle. blessings

• Posted

It possibly is something to do with the peri menopause and menopause approaching. It is a big stage of transition for women after all with our hormones in turmoil and peri is difficult as it is like having bad PMT for many women.

I am in menopause now and although periods have gone and many of the symptoms of PMT have gone, everything is different, some better and some worse. Smell is definitely different, tastes change, interests change, sex is different. I feel more in tune with my body and tastes - I listen more to my body now, rather than over indulge. IBS (bowel problems) has been problematic in menopause as the digestive system slows down, but a change of diet and managing anxiety really helps. Also I don't listen to exactly the same music I did when younger as my tastes have changed in fact some of the songs I didn't like I now do as I listen to the words and they now seem meaningful! I think at all levels, spiritually, emotionally and physically a woman changes at this stage of life. Not all of the ailments are to do with menopause and seeing the doctor is important for any health concerns.

Thinking of this time as a new beginning rather than giving in to the more depressing aspects is important. Seek new interests, research things that will help menopause. There are a number of forums such as this. What did poor women do before the Internet and before women even discussed these issues so openly.

• Edited

Hiya yes this is so normal for peri I went off cheese couldn't stand the smell my mum hated the smell of meat steak also I found I couldn't read or be bothered to listen to music it does get better in time isn't it odd how this happens I would get magazines and just look at the pictures I hope this helps good luck x

• Posted

Hey Lori

Yes I'm the same. Not smells so much but music and reading isnt like it used to be. Almost like my brain shouts ENOUGH, and then I have to turn it off lol. I tend to listen to classical music radio and listen to audio books.... Honestly I'm the saddest 43 year old in town 😃 xx

• Posted

Wow your post made me realize that I am not alone. I chalked these symptoms up to anxiety or being in hyper alert mode or possibly going insane. . Yes the smell of foods cooking seem almost pungent and over whelming . I feel somewhat nauseated at times.. I crack the window in the kitchen or an outside door and keep odor neutralizing sprays handy. The music and tv I watch is changing as well. Music just bores me sometimes I enjoy it half as much. I find myself searching for classical music to listen to as it help me to relax because i still love music just different types now and less of what I used to prefer. I am wanting to eat healthier , and possibly take up yoga. Im wanting to try and paint some pictures as a hobby . I got the idea because my mother has always painted and while in the process she looks so relaxed and free in her own space doing something she loves. I think im in search of feeling that way right now probably because of being in peri . I don't like to watch any action packed movies any more. I find it harder to concentrate and I lose interest . We might be less tolerant but we are still us . If you lose interest in one thing you'll find something else you like but you have to keep searching through and turning the channels so to speak. I think alot of this will get better as our bodies get through this process.

• Posted

hi all you ladies not sure if this will help everyone but last week Friday to be exact I started to take a seritonin booster and do you know it's Sunday and I actually feel like I havery got some of my major back I also don't feel so manic when I wake up in hope it continues to help I saw a lady talking on tv and she was on it and had improved hope this helps will keep you all infor med good luck

• Posted

Hi Karen

You must share what serotonin booster you are on!

maybe it could help some of us.

xoxo

• Posted

hi Karen what's the name of the serotonin booster that you are taking? I would like to try it, peri has been a hell since last one year.

• Posted

OMG. I cannot empathize with this enough. Yes, food tastes different. Lots of things just taste bitter. I'll be listening to or watching something I LOVE and all of a sudden it like irritates me so badly I have to turn it off or else I feel like I'll throw the TV or phone across the room. I find that any TV show that has a lot of "arguing" really sets me off. And I want to cry at the drop of a hat. And I'm just so exhausted I barely want to do anything.

Some days are better than others, but the bad days are BAD. God, I'm only 39. I really hope this doesn't last another 10 years.

I am so sorry you feel so listless. I wish I had advice. Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.