perimenopause. How long roughly do the extreme symptoms of perimenopause last?

Posted , 16 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I am 46 and have been suffering symptoms for about 4 years. The last 3 months it has been awful. A really frightening experience. Depression,anxiety and panic attacks (about 6 panic attacks a day some days) Couldn't even drive to the shop. Palpitations and heart flutters . Severe pressure headaches every single day. Weak legs,tinnitus,not sleeping and restless legs at night,the list goes on !

How long will this last for anyone?

3 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've suffered badly with insomnia, restless leg syndrome, depression, anxiety, headaches, crying jags, etc.etc. for about 7 years and kept waiting for it to get better. I tried so many things but didn't get much relief. My 2016 New Year's resolution was to make my life worth living again for myself and my family. So, I started bioidentical hrt and it's made the biggest improvement I could have ever wished for. My only regret is not starting it sooner. I wasted all those years being afraid of hormones. I'm so relieved to be myself again. 
    • Posted

Same here MoodyNoire,

I feel I've wasted 10 years.

I didn't have restless legs and thankfully no problems with heavy bleeding but everything else.

Sleep (or lack of it, it's 6 am now and I still have not slept another zombie day for me today) and deep depression and nausea were the worst things.

All have gone along with many other little niggles with the HRT.

• Posted

Insomnia creates so many more issues doesn't it? But, you know about feeling as though we wasted time, I guess the bright side would be that we gave it our best shot. I know it certainly taught me a lesson in empathy and gave me compassion for othes that were suffering from these various illness whether their's were from peri or not. So, I guess in the end going through the battles may help us to be supportive of others, right? I know it meant a lot to me for someone to just say, "I've been there, hold on honey, it's gonna get better!"
    • Posted

Yes I agree and this site is so good.

I just decided to dedicate my spare time now sympathising telling others they are not alone because I have to say I felt so alone with it and thinking doctors thought I was making it up or something.

My husband and youngest both said I had hypochondria several times.

Also trying to beg the doctors to listen telling them it was not a mental problem because I felt so physically ill.

I did try and take my own life at one point there, my husband didn't get it and he's only just realising now that so many others are suffering the same since I've read him a few of the ladies posts here.

He did say it could be menopause early on but in the end he can only agree that the doctors know best and go with what they say.

I'm just hoping a few words on here will help someone else see that it's not just them not in their head and take comfort from it or get help for it if it's possible.

• Posted

I was so happy to read your post as I have been so ill since this all started 8 months ago. I had terrible nausea anxirty insominia. Now bladder problems. It never ends now night sweats also. Last month was the worst terrible depression I was thinking of suicide. It is a great relief to read everyone's posts.
    • Posted

I had some bladder stuff too cystitis. I'd never suffered before, I had it a few times and needed to go to the doctor with it.

Then later realised I could tell a day or two before it became a problem, at that point I'd get some cranberry juice I also had the pills and started three small cartons a day with pills in the morning and before bed.

Then I'd be ok within the week.

• Posted

I also never had bladder problems. I went to urologist. Did all sorts of resin. I have frequency now. Have to go all the time is do to peri. Lack of estrogen. I have been suffering with this since December. Gave me an estrogen cream. Has not helped to much yet. It's so annoying!
    • Posted

Tests. Not resin! Autocorrect

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.