Perimenopause is making me miserable, need help!!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was feeling very anxious and having many many panic attacks about a week and a half before my period was due.  I ended up getting it a week early.  Bad bleeding, emotional, headache.  I spent two days in bed. I cannot get it thru my head that this is from my cycle.  I am 48 and this is the worst I have ever felt.  I am on my fifth day and I have had a weird achy headace on and off.  Taking Advil every 4 to 6 hours.  Also feel a bit crampy.  Intermittent heart palpitaions, I know my heart is fine because I have had tests.  Has anyone else felt this terrible during this time of life? It is really getting me very depressed.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Jennifer, YES! Many of us have felt this badly in peri! Read through old posts and you will see. I've read that peri is at its worst when you're coming to the end, so hopefully you won't have to endure it too much longer. Try to push through it and know that you're not alone.

Do you have any coping techniques when you get a panic attack? When I first got them decades ago, when they were at their worst, I would have to focus on some object in my environment and breathe slowly in and out or clean, sort, and organize my purse- count my money, my coins, and pray, pray, pray!   Once I was at a job inteview and as soon as the interviewer closed the door, I felt trapped, hot, couldn't breathe, and the panic hit. I knew I had to hide what I was feeling, so I just kept praying to myself and saying in my head, you're okay, you're going to get through this, it won't last long. However, I have had complete break downs from panic at many doctor appts when they close those doors. I never trust them to open again! Sometimes I have to open the door and leave it ajar while I'm waiting for the doctor.

Do you have a sympathetic friend or family member you can visit or call when panic hits you? It doesn't help to have someone who just yells at you to get over it. You don't need someone to try to fix it. You just need someone who will be there with you until you get through it.

And if all else fails, you might temporarily need a low dose of Xanax to get through this. Just knowing I have them relieves a lot of anxiety, so that I rarely have to take one. (I have anxiety over taking pills, too, especially new pills, so when I have to take a Xanax, I have to start by crushing it into a powder and just taking a dab of powder every hour and if I'm okay, then I'll eventually work up to a full dose! Isn't that crazy?!)

• Posted

I cannot thank you enough for your quick reply, and no that is not crazy..we all have to do what is good for us.  As women we have a many obstacles to overcome in our life time.  I just find this Peri horrible, and very confusing.  Especially when your trying to live a normal life.  I have a wonderful family and close friends, a husband and two children.  It upsets me when I don't feel well, because I can't be who I want to be.  The anxiety on top of the hormones is wild!!! thank you for your good advice and kind words.  God Blesswink

• Posted

Hi, it does make you feel awful and because nobody talks about it you feel as though there is something seriously wrong with you. All I can say is... All the symptoms you have mentioned have been talked about on this forum, in a way that's very reassuring. I wish I could give you a miracle cure but there isn't one. Don't know if you are able to listen to a meditation, one lady on this forum said it made her feel relaxed and more able to cope.
  • Posted

Hi

Let's put I this way, finding this forum will make you fell like you've

'Come Home' - its brilliant!

We've all had your symptoms unfortunately. I find now, without being

really aware, I've started to try to contol myself with controlling my

breathing. Sometimes works. Sometimes not.

Sold my business/leased my home 18mths ago. Looking back I had

major bouts of ranting/nuttiness/hypovent'ing then. It was bloody

horrible and very emotional. I'm hoping that 'Most Stressful time of

my Life' was a major part of my Peri out of the way. Pleeeeeeease!

Just waiting now for irregular or missed Ps cos I hate hate, hate bleeding!!

Enough of me......maybe go see your GP and talk through how you feel.

He may suggest giving SSRIs a try, as they're becoming more

recognised as a treatment for Peri/Meno symptoms. They're just not for me right now, but may be exactly t you need??

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, I hope you are better than when you first posted. I'm just wondering had anything helped you. I'm suffering this at present. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.