Perimenopause or GAD????

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello Ladies,

I'm back again with a little confusion. I was already apprehensive or should I say anxious about my GP appointment today. I had a panic attack while I was there and just couldn't seem to calm down. He gave me a script for Ativan and said I need to relax. My anxiety this week has been through the roof. I've never had issues with anxiety but since all my other symtpoms started I have been on edge. I can't focus on my health because im always thinking that something is going to happen to me. I know the numerous tests tell me I'm ok but I can't shake the doom and gloom feelings. They just come out of nowhere. Does anyone else ever feel like the doom and gloom and is this normal? I am starting to think I have generalized anxiety disorder where im just out of sorts all the time.

2 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jamie, yes the doom and gloom issue is real, I am trying to figure out if its because of the symptoms, the peri, or if its seeing people that we know or around our age develop health crisisis. I dont know, there has got to be a solution. Let me know how the Ativan works for you?
    • Posted

Hi Lennie,

I haven't decided wether or not I'm going to take them. But I will let you all know if I do. I'm not big on pills and will take them if I really need them. I'm going to try to manage with something herbal or natural first. I will let you know how it works out.

• Posted

I've taken Ativan in the past and it has helped me.
    • Posted

Everyone tolerates medications differently and what may work for one person may not work for another.

I know herbs don't do anything for my perimenopause, and I've tried pretty much all.

Currently I'm not taking any medications. What has really helped me is eating really healthy and exercise.

• Posted

I have changed some of my eating habits as well. It has helped especially with cutting down on the indegestion which I am now starting to believe that some of it is anxiety induced. When I get the nervous stomach I immediately get gasy. I am trying to learn how to manage the manage the anxiety on my own by talking myself through it.
  • Posted

I've had health anxiety for the longest time.

Back in my 20s, I had a regular blood test, and the doctor called and left a message that my bloodwork was "abnormal." I was terrified. HIV? Leukemia? When I finally heard from her again, after panicking at work for hours, she said "your cholesterol is a little high, watch what you eat."

In my mid-30s, I found a lump in my breast. I was convinced it was cancer. I went to the doctor, she sent me for a mammogram, and then I had an ultrasound. The ultrasound technician said to me "I'm sorry." They biopsied it. I waited for days for the results. I couldn't sleep, cried all day and all night for days. Went back to hear the result of the biopsy, it was a benign growth. It was removed a few months later, no problems since.

Today I had an ultrasound again, and again I'm worried sick, so afraid the tumors have finally arrived. My husband thinks I'm nuts. I can't help it. I figure, eventually I'll be right. It's horrible feeling this way. I'm thinking I need to stop going to regular doctors and find a psychiatrist instead. neutral

• Posted

Wow, thats what I have: health anxiety, finally it has a name. I have gotten so bad that I have requested NOT to be called but I will make an appointment and go in and get results there, I hate it when they call and leave messages it drives me crazy. I am considering seeing a psychiarist too seroiusly. My prior dr recommended I see someone because I told him how bad my anxiety is. My mom says she would rather just never know anything and deal with herbals she says we arent going to live forever anyway. 
    • Posted

Yeah, it's a term I came across recently, while panicking over current "symptoms," and realizing that my biggest problem isn't my overall health, but my anxiety over getting really sick, and imagining what it would be like to have to go through daily life with a debilitating illness. I've procured some audiobooks on anxiety disorder and how to overcome it, now I just need to start listening to them. I can't imagine how they'd help, but I figure anything is worth a shot. Sometimes I just wish I could turn off my brain for a while.
    • Posted

I have the same anxieties. I absolutely hate tests. I'm glad when they come back normal. It's takes some weight off my mind. But I just hate waiting for the results. The agony of waiting is terrifying.
    • Posted

It's the worst. And, as usual, my doctor called and everything is fine. I'm relieved, and now pondering my next self-diagnosis. wink
    • Posted

I believe that is my problem. I stopped googling my symptoms because the more I would read was scaring me to pieces. That was not helping me get over my fears at all. The only thing it did do for me was point me in the direction of finding out about perI and meno which helped calm some of the anxieties. But when I get another symptom I lose my mind again.
    • Posted

Like my doctor said to me when I came in with diagnosis from the net, "quit being a hypocondriac." Makes me laugh when I look in hindsight.
    • Posted

Another thing I realized, not that it helps quiet my over-active imagination, is that I read so many stories about people with cancer and other horrible diseases, and they seem like such nice people, and I think: why did they get [whatever horrible illness]? Why not me?

I've read about "survivor's guilt," and I think that's kind of what I feel. I feel guilty that other people are sick, and I'm healthy, and maybe I don't deserve to be healthy when others are not.

• Posted

I have to find other things to do to take my mind of the anxiety. It's really hard but I'm working on it. I definitely had to stop reading certain things and googling everything i think is wrong cause I was making my anxiety worse. I don't need anything to be any worse than it is. These symptoms are doing that in its own.
    • Posted

Fantastic, my mom said my aunt had lumpy breasts and breast cysts for years (No cancer) and they wanted her to have a masectomy as a "prevent" she did not do it and her breasts are fine she is almost 80, the funny thing is I have lumpy breasts and had a cyst 2 years ago.  Happy to hear the good news!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.