perimenopause or menopause

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i have been reading some of the posts sent on here .I know where everyone is coming from i have been doing a period diary back last year i have been having very heavy periods.lasting up to 10 days thennot having a period for 40 days .this year very simular im 50  and 51 this year .i have been having achy hips back ache and also suffer with depression and panic attacs.and i worry all the time .my last period was 33 days ago.and keep thinking im going to start the synptons there.my sisters were 47 and 48 whenthey started going through the menopause.im so glad to read these posts i feel like its just me and going mad .does anyone know how long it will take before i have gone through the full menopause ?

tthanks 

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

well i thought i was on the menopause as i had blood tests last year and was told my hormone level were so high i would not have another period and after 8 months i came on and its heavy bleeding again. not sure if i now have to start counting my 12 months again as they say you are not truely menopausal until you've gon 12 months without a period. i'm 51 but started on peri menopause when i was 44!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

HI Kim. They say you have to be without a period for 12 full months before you are considered IN menopause.  All this other stuff is considered Peri-menopause. I have been bleeding now for a month on and off.  For the past 2 years my periods have been off.  I even went 4 months without one. I really thought i was done.  I am finding that chelated iron is slowly the bleeding down. I have tried a lot of natural things.  YOU are not alone.  I always find that comforting in my misery!  LOL 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi ladies!

Yes, you go a whole 12 months with no period and then you are in menopause. I've known women to go 11 months and then bam! Period, start all over again....

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Kim,

Peri Menopause can go on for years. Mine was a good 10 years before my periods started really getting different. Mainly much heavier, longer periods. A full 12 months without periods you are considered to be in menopause. Although this seems like the end of the changing body and hormones it is only the beginning. Not to scare you but while you are still having your periods your body is still making hormones. Even though it is not much. But once those periods end things really seem to change and fast. Thinning hair, thinning skin, brittle nails, lack of lubrication for intimacy and even painful sex from thinning of the vaginal walls. Yes peri is just the beginning. Once in menopause some women in their 60s and 70s still talk of hot flushes, sweats and all kinds of other feelings that are all related to bottomed out hormone levels. '

I'm 57, been in menopause for two years. Started bio identical hormones almost immediately. Estrodial, Estriol, Testosterone and Progesterone. Key word, Bio Identical, when and if considering hormone replacement therapy. Good Luck!

By the way, I feel great. Will be on hormones the rest of my life. I too started with all those symptoms I mentioned above and the more I read the more depressed I got and had to do something about it. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

The 13th month with no period they say is officially menopause. You sound very typically peri menopausal. I tracked my periods and all my symptoms for about 2 years. It definitely helped me to understand what was happening to me and when I visited the doctor who does my BHRT it helped a lot along with my blood results for him to know what to give me. I questioned my sanity on a number of occasions and even though my BHRT has helped tremendously I still has some ups and downs.

Keep us posted on how you're going. Its posts like yours that have helped me through the dark days.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up