perimenopause period issues...anyone share these?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I am 48 years old and have been in perimenopause for I think a year. Minor hot flashes and periods changing. I saw a gynecologist and had an ultrasound done to check ovaries, Fallopian tubes,  cervix, uterus and bladder. They found a few small fibroids but said that it was nothing to worry about and everything else as ok. Well, I didnt get a period for 52 days and then started it 18 days ago. Although it is very light right now..I still have it . Cramps as well which I am told can happen with fibroids. Has anyone else had extremely long periods? I know I shouldnt worry because I had all the ultrasounds and blood tests, but I am still concerned..thanks in advance for your input...

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm 48 and my periods have been weird lately..  So is this the beginning of the end?  My periods used to be every 28 days and by day 4 or 5 it would be over. But this last one it's been 8 days!!   Lite then heavy and lite again.  I think that it's over then BAM a flood comes!!   It's so unpredictable-- how can I plan anything?   From what I read it's all normal.  My GYN visit with a blood test is due in a month so we'll see what happens.  I don't have hot flushes but feel cold often. I also feel groggy and weak at times- I have no problems with sleep.  I do take many supplements including D and iron.

• Posted

Hi Michelle , I had very similar and was told I had fibroids also . One period lasted about 16 weeks albeit very light at times . That was about 2 years ago , my periods went back to normal for 6 months and then I had gaps of a few months . Now I haven’t had one since June last year so fingers crossed I could be done with all that . Try not to worry as I did at the time imagining all sorts but now looking back it’s all part of the whole menopause process ! 
    • Posted

Oh my goodness!!  16 weeks??  It's good to know. thanks for sharing.

• Posted

Hi Michelle, Are you on any pill? I had long periods, like 6 weeks, on cerezette. Ive not had fibroids to my knowledge so not sure if they can cause this or not. Might just be your hormones out of whack in peri. Good that youve had the gynae tests so im sure its nothing to worry about x
    • Posted

Hi Julie,

No I am not on any pills. I do feel emotionally unstable for lack of a better term at the moment so its possible it is hormones and fibroids combined. Either way I wish it would stop! smile

• Posted

Hi Michelle, meno can be awful, especially the anxiety and palpitations. Been 2 yrs and still not right. Hoping it settles soon x
  • Posted

Michelle, I have very prolonged periods. Mine are almost ongoing. This last period started Nov 24, it never fully goes away, someday I just spot, someday it's a regular period. It's the most annoying and irritating thing is had to deal with.

• Posted

OMG..you poor thing. Although I feel better knowing I am not alone, I feel awful that this could be a permanent thing for now! sad 
  • Posted

Omg the same for me too!!!! I don’t have fibroids that I know of but these periods either the lack of or the never ending ones are frustrating irritating I wear a pad consistently because you just don’t know what will happen day to day the longest I went without a period was 107 days it was beautiful but very short lived this month spotted up to my period and my period ended last week and Monday noticed spotting and have cramps but nothing I had my hormones checked and they are normal but my primary felt with all my symptoms he told me in your in Peri and blood test aren’t that reliable I have a friend who according to her blood work should be post menopausal and she had a period in July and just got one in January so she went nine months without it before I’m like I will have a period till I’m 90 🤣🤣🤣🤣 my mother had none of what I’m dealing with just a little moody and missed periods and that’s it she was 48 when they stopped well I just turned 49 and it doesn’t seem like it’s stopping anytime soon ughhh I can deal with the slew of other symptoms but I wish the periods would stop already it interferes with everything I want to have sex with my husband but I don’t out of fear of bleeding just because you don’t know if it’s a spotting month or what and I get bad cramps always have and I could actually compare them at times to labor pain. I had three kids and no epidurals so I know what it feels like I feel for you and just know there are other people out there going thru the exact same thing 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.