Period after 14 years

Posted , 4 users are following.

I will be 61 next month and I haven't had a period for 14 years and today I just felt bad and tonight I started a period. I'm not sure if this is normal or should I be upset. Does anyone know anything about this. I just can't believe after all these years I would have one. 

1 like, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Hope this helps: 

Vaginal bleeding after menopause isn't normal and should be evaluated by your doctor.

For example, postmenopausal vaginal bleeding can be caused by:

Thinning of the tissues lining the uterus (endometrial atrophy) or vagina (vaginal atrophy)

Uterine fibroids

Uterine polyps

Infection of the uterine lining (endometritis)

Medications such as hormone therapy and tamoxifen

Pelvic trauma

Bleeding from the urinary tract or rectum

Cancer of the uterus, including endometrial cancer and uterine sarcoma

Cancer of the cervix or vagina

The cause of your bleeding may be entirely harmless. However, postmenopausal bleeding could result from something serious, so it's important to see your doctor promptly.

All the best, 

Eva

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi areopow

bless you ... I also just read the same thing that Evaserval posted below, that was explained online by Mayo Clinic..

you need to make an appt at the doctors Hun, its maybe nothing to be too worried about, but needs checking, they may give you a pelvic exam and arrange an ultra sound... 

best to be checked .... put your mind at rest..

good luck Jay xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Tht dont sound normal go see a doc
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had this problem and ended up with a life saving hysterectomy, caught early saving lots of serious issues later on.  Don't delay and see your Doc.  Like others say it may be nothing but better safe than sorry.   Good luck.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Not that long after but had unusual bleeding that needed checking out after menopause.  I always advocate that it is better to check bleeding out which is not normal.  I had pre-cancerous cells that needed treatment.  Leaving things could have been dangerous.  I have since also been diagnosed with lichen sclerosus which I think I have had all my life and may have been a contributory factor to the cells being abnormal.  All I meant was that it is better to be safe not sorry.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Chrisy

lets hope areopow gets checked .. it may be fine, a simple polyp or something like that..... nothing so serious... 

i bled for 21 months at beginning of peri ... and i was fine, just hormonal mis fortune... we all different.. i did have ovarian cysts before hand too which were not serious they were follicular cysts we all have before menopause and mine grew and could not disperse at the time... but did in the end, no surgery was required, lets hope its much to do about nothing..... worst case scenarios are very daunting and we shouldnt make a person more freaked out before they are checked , worrying enough isnt it... fingers crossed for her.. Jay 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up