Period after a year and a half

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

In scared to death. I turned 52 yesterday. I haven't had a period for a year and half. 3 weeks ago I had severe beat tenderness and then last week I had some bleeding. Not like my usual periods that were heavy. Just light spotting with horrible cramps. I have also had diarreah on and off for 3 weeks. I went to the dr and had pelvic with pap smear. The results on the lab isn't back yet bit she said all looked and felt normal. She dismissed the diarrhea issue as a possible virus. I have a referral for a pelvic sonogram that I am waiting ins clearance. But I'm scared here. My back is hurting but now I am seeing everything as a symptom. Scared

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Don't be scared. Exactly what happened to me and I'm 52. But but had been close to 3 years since my last period. It seems to be fairly common but not well documented. Don't start Googling! Your doctor isn't worried so i think youre having the same issue I did. That was over a year ago and I'm fine. Nothing since. No worries Mary!

• Posted

Hi, Mary, sorry to learn that you're having these problems. As for the diarrhea, it can be caused by hormone fluctuations. Many women experience episodes of diarrhea just before their periods.  Hormones are very powerful substances.  It might help you to google symptoms of excess estrogen or progesterone so that you can find out yourself. As you're not that long into menopause your hormones are probably still fluctuating.  Take heart, and let us know how the sonogram turns out! xx

• Posted

You're welcome.  Don' scare yourself, just find out about the hormone levels.  It helps if you have enough knowledge to act as your own advocate with the doctor and any medical system.  Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Mary, I agree with Becky, if your doctor isn't worried you shouldn't be either. Don't start googling unless you feel the need to scare yourself some more. I went through something similar, the scare of it being something turned out to be fibroids, and a swollen fallopian tube. I went through this about 3 years ago and survived. Stay calm Mary.

• Posted

Just wanted to update you on my teats. Pelvic ultrasound showed all is well. Some small fibroids that the dr. Said wouldn't have caused the bleeding. Just a last hoorah for the hormone . I still have gastrointestinal intestinal issues...bad. I took myself, with permission, off my metformin. Felt GREAT for several days, but the diarrhea from hell returned today. I have a gi appointment on Aug 4th. Guess it's off to a colonoscopy. This diarrhea seems to be never ending. The first 3 days off my metformin was my first solid bowel in 2 months. Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words.

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words

• Posted

Hahaha. "Tests" not "teats"

• Posted

HI, Mary,

Good to know that the tests turned out well. Let us know how the visit with the GI doc goes.

I had a TAH on Monday and am recovering.  xx

Lynda

• Posted

Hi Mary, Im glad the tests went well. I am about to have a pelvic ultrasound also, it startled me just how similar my situation is to yours. I am 51 and I have gone a year without a period and then out of the blue, a one off period! I then went another year without anything, low and behold one year to the day (new years eve) another period out of the blue. I then went a year and a half without a period and really thought I was coming to the end of this, but no, 2 weeks ago I had a period! To top it all I have also had the most terrible diahorrea for about 6 weeks on and off now, with awful griping pains. I finally went to the docs and was told that after a year any bleeding is considered post menopausal bleeds and needs investigating. I am now waiting for the appointment, once that has been dealt with, the doc said she would then look at the bowel problem. She also did not seem to think it was related, but, after seeing your post it sort of got me wondering whether this is purely coincidence or whether other menopausal women have had similar experiences? I hope that my results prove to be similar to yours also.
    • Posted

Hi debbie,

Yes it is similar. Don't worry about the ultrasound, it was a breeze. The ultrasound on my boobs hurt more. The girls we squished. I don't know what to think about the digestive issues. I actually think, with me, I have a bacterial infection from antibiotics. I will let you know how the teat goes. After an all clear of my ultrasound I think that the diarrhea and the bleeding were coincidence. Let us know how your test goes and don't worry, it was a breeze.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.