Phased return

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi... I have been given a phased return to work after double bunion surgery, the whole works on  both bunions. I work in a bank and wonder if anyone can  give me some guidance as to what this could look like please. I have been off work full time for just over 8 weeks And I work full time.  Thank you.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paula, I work in a bank as well and had one of my staff off last year with a shoulder op. She had a phased return . Something like 4 hours a day fir 3 days the first week, all day for 4 days the second week, then back to full time the third week. Your line manager should speak to your HR people and they will advise her.
    • Posted

Hi thank you for your reply yes that's helpful. My phased return is for 6 weeks and I think I have been a bit too optimistic with what I thought I could do. Went back today and feet are throbbing I did do 4 hours. Do have quite a bit of a drive and walk to work. Think I need to revisit this. Thank you 
    • Posted

I'm due to have a double op on 23/01/15. My manager made a jokey comment about being wheeled in asap. My consultant said I would have an initial note for 7 weeks and then he would review. Like you I have a long drive to work. After reading numerous posts on this forum I can honestly say I have no intention of returning to work until I feel totally able to. Due to the nature of this op the normal short phase back to work might not be appropriate after only 8 weeks. Talk to your consutant/GP. 

• Posted

I would speak to your gp or surgeon as well as your line manager. You don't want to undo all the good work now. Better to be off until you're 100%.
  • Posted

I had the double on 27/11, and I've been contacted today to see when I'm going to be able to restart work again. From reading the forums, it does come across that returning too soon is not a sensible option. So I'm going to ask for an extension of my 6 week sick note when I see the consultant again, just to make sure.

do you have an occupational health department within your bank that you can contact? 

• Posted

Hi all..... Quick update! I had the worst night sleep with throbbing in my right foot so I went into work today and explained that I cannot commit to any more than 4 hours a day and that I would see how things go keeping them abreast of any changes that I can manage. I showed my line manager one foot so she saw straight away that it's still quite swollen and bare scars. I said that I do not want to undo the good work so far and the last thing any of us want is for my next set of X-rays prove I have done too much. She was happy with this thank goodness! I think some people can be quite judgemental when they hear bunion operation but we all know different. My surgeon actually said it's as bad if not worse than a knee operation and recovery time. I have now also bought a foot spa and have used that tonight so I highly recommend this too. X
    • Posted

I discribed graphically just what a bunion operation entails. She was shocked because she thought 'they just shaved a bit of the bone off'! She I now more sympathetic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.