Physical Symptoms.....Obsessive Thoughts

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm looking for some tips or advice regarding the physical symptoms I'm experiencing and how to stop obsessively worrying about them....like so many of you, I suffer from dizziness/"fuzzy head", muscle aches, headaches, palpitations, shakiness, feeling as though my muscles are weak.....I just can't seem to stop thinking about them and worrying that I've got some horrible disease. I practice deep breathing and mindfulness exercises, I've been getting out and going for long walks every day (even when I feel lousy), I listen to Dr Claire Weekes on audiobook, I see a therapist, I take supplements....all good, right? But I still wake up every morning terrified that I've got MS or ALS or a brain tumour or I'm having a stroke or I have some other horrific disease.....and then I start getting (more) anxious which makes the symptoms worse....I dread getting into the shower because I almost always feel dizzy and shaky when I'm showering, and I no longer look forward to going to work (but I'm terrified to stay home alone).

I feel as though I'm having a nervous breakdown....it's just so frustrating and exhausting to feel this way every day. 

I'm not the only one feeling this way...am I? How do the rest of you manage?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

your not the only one, I've read many blogs with the same message. Internal pain, dizziness worry.

It's normal to think your going mad like this but it's just your anxiety symptoms.

you say the thoughts begin when you wake. Can you see that it is the brain controlling your thoughts and feelings of pain.  If you didn't have these thoughts most of the symptoms would disappear.  Have you tried doing some online cbt exercises to eradicate these warpy thoughts.  I tried moodgym.au and found it useful.

Richard

• Posted

Yup, I have no doubt that my thoughts are contributing heavily to my symptoms....I can almost feel it as it's happening....the thing is, the thoughts come in almost before I know it and then I can't seem to control them....I suspect I need another round of CBT to get myself realigned....I did find it helpful once before. Thanks for replying...it always helps to know I'm not alone.
  • Posted

Hi wearykitty. Try reading the book by Melanie Ferrel. 'Overcoming Low Self Esteem. A Self Help Guide using Cognitive Behavioural Technicques'. This is great for mindfulness and training your brain into thinking differently/more positively, Its the book CBT therapists work through with patients. Its great.

You could try what i do which sounds silly but really works for me. When i have a worry/intrusive thought, I simply pop the thought into an imaginary box. I then tie up the box with pretty colourful ribbons and even decorate it. Doing this takes the heat out of the fire if you like. Helps take your mind off the initial thought. The harder it is to get risd of the thought the more i decorate my box. It doesnt work all the time but i have improved so much since someone recommended this to me...

xxx

• Posted

Hi, just to let you know I feel exactly the same! I can definitely relate to being scared when you get on the shower. 

I feel so ill and find it hard to see a future! Been fighting to get better for 18 months x

• Posted

Me too. One technique you could try is just to deliberately think the word 'the' every 2 seconds and just keep thinking this word over and over every 2 seconds for 5 minutes. This can block unhelpful thoughts.

Another thing you could try is to write down all these thoughts as they come. Just write them all down as a stream of consciousness until they are exhausted. Try not to believe them or judge them. They are just thoughts. Get them outside of yourself by writing them or painting them or drawing them or writing a poem about how you feel.

Another, which Im sure you know, is to just focus on the sensations in your body or focus on the breath as much as you are able.

Distract yourself through music, books, tv, stories, radio, sex. Do something where you have to concentrate or do something that is very practical, like cleaning the bath or the washing up and congratulate yourself on anything you manage to do.

Dont try to stop the panic or the thoughts. Let them come . They are only the result of a tired brain and the body's reactions to adrenaline. That's all. Nothing bad is going to happen to you. You will be OK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.