Physical symptoms of anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All

I have been diagnosed as suffering with anxiety in the last few weeks but I am really struggling with the physical symptoms. Eg lump in throat, feeling very tight after food etc

Does anyone else suffer the same? 

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes I suffer from this aswell but just try not to think about it, I know it's hard but it will pass- I think when we have anxiety there isn't a sensation or symptom we don't put our body through and it's for no reason at all!! smile 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks, it's really putting me off eating at work as throat feels like it's closing up and then I start to panic which when I have to be on the phone makes it worse

Hate these feelings and the panic attacks. So scary

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Sarah Lou.

I know that this feeling is very unpleasant and frightening, however it really is absolutely harmless x it is called.....globulus hysterics.... it is caused solely by anxiety and is in no way serious.... one helpful way to try to ease the sensation is to Ping a rubber band on your wrist, or concentrate on something else, maybe reciting the months of the year backwards in your head... I truly do sympathize with you, I suffered this for many years, it was a distraction technique that helped me... I wish you all the best, take care... DEIRDRE xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Dear Sarah Lou, I did easy things really such as knitting, which I am absolutely useless at which made me concentrate very hard , I also took up sewing ( not too bad ) ...sketching at which I was hopeless but enjoyed, also loads of crossword puzzles.... in fact anything that I really had to concentrate on ...

At night when I was trying to fall asleep I would go through the alphabet and on every letter I would think of 5 girls names and 5 boys names... it got easier over time and after a whole day free of the problem, I knew for certain that it was just anxiety, I have been okay for 12yrs !! I wish you all the very, very best, take care, Deirdre xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Deidre, I shall try my hand at more things outside of work and will try and find ways to combat the worry at work(will be harder) 

Glad you have managed to find good coping techniques xx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up