Physical Therapy.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Had my surgery three weeks ago and I'm doing pretty well. No longer use a walker or a cane .   I just dread physical therapy even though I know it is an absolute must.   I even take pain medication about an hour before I go and it doesn't help at all .

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I did exactly what you were doing. Why ? Dunno really but probably because I hate taking pills – I'm taking enough already for a heart arrythmia I suppose and just didn't want to add to the pile !

I soon realised my folly – I can only take CoCodomol 30/500 and ended up reading the paper in the packet and ended up taking them as prescribed, i.e. spread the dose throughout the 24 hours. That helped and enabled me to manage my PT.

• Posted

I am taking Dilaudid and Tylenol as needed.....hate to still be on anything. Maybe I will just  take something on PT days and try to spread it out .
    • Posted

Hi Mary I'm 4 weeks po. I take reg Tylenol during the day. At night I still take 1 pain pill. Pain always seems to get worse at night. Then I take a pain pill 1 hr and 15 mins before my pt. That makes pt bearable.
    • Posted

Mary,

take those meds as prescribed.  If you do not keep the pain under control...then you do not get any relief.  Walking unaided at three weeks...?? I could have...but was told not to do so at that point.....may be check with PT on that.  I was told it was a lot of stress to put on weak muscles and healing nerves.  I went totally unaided at 7 weeks....6 weeks inside home.

Are you doing exercises at home too??  It will get easier and not hurt as much...down the road.  How are you sleeping??

i was also told I should continue PT exercises, bike riding, and walking for at least 6 months....pt advise.

• Posted

Unfortunately that is part of this process. I've been in therapy for many months. Had to get the bend back and the last few months its all about strength. My therapist has me doing stuffvi never dreamed I could ever do again but it comes with pain and suffering. The 1st night and day after (which is today) I am miserable but I am thrilled that I came do what I'm doing. Of course I'm one of tgecaorst case scenarios and realize that a combination of age and condition has taken a toll on my body if notbmy mind. Just continue to ice and rest (and I mean complete rest) afterwards. Slowly this will pass and will be a fuzzy memory. Be sure and hydrate well before and after therapy. Too many forget to take care of the rest of the body just thinking of the knee. Take a bottle of water with you to sip on during little breaks.....whatever it take don't get dehydrated. Saevrule applies when you are doing you excercise at home. I always have a big glass of water even when I'm having a cup of coffee. When you ice be sure the ice pack is big brought to cover the entire knee, not just the top. Be patient and thevthevprcess time to work. Above all else.......REST......a tired body rebels.
    • Posted

Big fingers....little keys....that should have said "worst case scenarios"
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. Commiserating with someone else is a big help.  And ice is still my best friend.
    • Posted

Yes..... I've had 6 surgeries including 4 complete rehabs between Jan 2013 and June 2015. I've been in some level of physical all but 6 months total since then.
  • Posted

Hi Mary, I had surgery 5 weeks ago and too find physio tough. I take my painkillers 20 mins before...as instructed by physio and then ice straight after..i find it does work. I do this at home too when do main physio..bike but also repeat exercises upto 5 times day and ice and elevate after. I am down to painkillers just twice a day now unless i overdo it. Just be careful and dont do too much. x
  • Posted

dont be quick to scrap the pain meds its a big mistake !!!!! lots on you think that taking meds is weak !! no its not .think about the op you have just had only 3wks ago the hammering and sawing of bones never mind the impact on tendons and muscles ,stitches and staples !!! how long d o you think this all takes to heal ?? well the answer is about 12mths in total if you are lucky i was not so lucky ive had many ops because of one going wrong OFG is also one of the unlucky ones with far more ops than me ... in general you will heal in a few mths its slow its no ordinary op so it is why it takes longer to get back to "normal".(what ever that is ha!!) my advise would be take your meds and give pt everything you got ! you simply wont be able to do that if your in pain .believe me the recovery will be better if you do  .its a marrathon not a sprint

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.