Physio

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just come back from  a physio session, I have to do calf strenghtening and quad strengthening.    The pyhsio managed to get a 5 degree difference in the straigthening and she was pleased with that...but boy it was hard.

I have permission to use the exercise bike provided I higher the seat so as not to force the cycling movement.

Handed in the crutches.

Things seem to be coming along  but knowing how this works it could be two forward one back.....fingers crossed for more improvement for next week.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well done Hazel ... sounds like you are going fab!!! Hope all goes well for next week. 😉
  • Posted

That's brilliant Hazel. A real sense of achievement when it straightens like that isn't there? Keep up the good work xx
  • Posted

Well done...I have had problems straightening both of mine...and that's what you need to walk comfortably.  Unfortunately, the emphasis always seems to be on the bend we can achieve.

You are doing really well.

• Posted

Patsy I have real issues with straightening too. More surgery looks to be on the horizon for me as its bits of muscles sticking to the leg that is preventing the extension.

If the extension is too bad, it's more of a concern than the bend (apparently the bend is easier to improve).

I've been given all sorts of exercises by my physio to help. Let me know if you need any ideas x

• Posted

Great news hazel ! I've been for physio today got a 100 degree bend but not so good on the straight , it's because ive been working so hard on the bend that I've neglected the straightening excercises , physio wasn't too happy that I went back to work 3 weeks ago full time And not reduced hours Its 12 weeks since I had the op , sound like we are both at the same stage,,, it can only get better with hard work 

good luck ! 

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

I had a manipulation 20th March but, unlike my other knee, it didn't straighten it.  Saw my consultant last week and had X-Ray, which showed that the knee is perfect.  So he said that it's excessive scar tissue.  He will probably have to open the knee up again, cut the tissue, replace the spacers and wash it out...but he can't do this until the year stage.  I'm now trying as hard as I can to get it straight (but it hurts more now!).  What exercises have you been given?

Patsy

• Posted

Hi Patsy,

My knee is perfect too, just the muscles letting me down. My leg hasn't been straight for years though so can't blame them. They've said that I have muscle adhesions so not likely that my exercises will work but my muscles are extremely weak.

The ones I'm finding the most useful so far are:

Leg hanging off the bed, first letting gravity pull it down, then use good leg and finally adding some ankle weights (bought cheap on line)

Sat on bed gently swinging leg back and forth. Every few swings hold it up at its straightest point and try to use muscles to straighten further (without raising thigh off bed)

Also do simple leg raises whilst watching TV.

The one that has started to work brilliantly for me in the last few days is lying on bed or rug on floor (it's not pretty getting up) and with a large pillow under foot. For several minutes try to push foot into pillow/cushion/rolled up towel. Hold for a count of ten, relax and do again. After about ten, replace pillow with lower one (so leg has further to move) & push into it again.

Remember to stretch first and warm up the muscles. Stretch weight through heal to do hamstrings & heal hanging off a step to do calf. Also a gentle swing with the leg so you're kicking it high (hold on to a wall or something for balance).

Also remember to massage the muscles before starting and throughout the day. I've been able to lessen scar tissue myself over the last two weeks. My consultant and physio have noticed the improvement. Massage around the scar with oil or moisturiser. Be as tough as you can take as it will literally break down the scar tissue.

The muscle at the back of my leg (right behind knee) is main problem area for me. My physio can massage this for minutes and get my leg down to 18 degrees (it's currently at 30). She said massaging is the best way to loosen them up. Plus the use of a heat pad.

Give them a go. I hope they help x

• Posted

Thanks Kathryn

I find that when my physio massages the back of the knee it helps a great deal...I just wish that I had someone at home who could do it for me.

I've tried to suspend my ankle but can only stand it very briefly.  I will try the pushing into a pillow though.  I have also been going up the stairs and trying to drop my heel.

It's very difficult when the quads have been so tight for so many years.

Thanks for the advice...let's hope we can both get there in the end.

Take care.

Patsy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.