Physio

Posted , 13 users are following.

Need to ask you lovely folks just over 4 weeks post TKR and the PT tells me I should be able to peddle the excersise bike all the way round , I have tried on my last session but I cannot do it , I can go back and forth as far as it hurts so much, I can’t go on is it just me or is it normal. 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, when I had my first TKR it took me 6 weeks before I could pedal all the way around, so try not to worry, just keep trying. With my second TKR, I did it on my first PT session, so just goes to show nothing goes to pattern. Good luck and keep trying. My first was two years ago and second 6 months. Really pleased I have my life back, I excercise every day, and have found it really helps. Good luck.
  • Posted

The PT is just trying to push you.

Don't worry - it sounds like you're making a wonderful recovery.

• Posted

It's not you . There is no normal in TKR recovery , everyone is different . Is it possible to adjust the bike to make it easier for you to pedal ?. I don't think many physio's have had a TKR so they can only say where they think you should be in your recovery . 4 weeks is early days yet , things do get better slower for some , but there is nothing wrong with that . Keep up the physio and exercise , use your medication to control pain , you will get there in the end it takes time .

• Posted

Hi, I’m 8 weeks post TKR and I would LOVE to be able to cycle!  I’m stuck at 90 ish, I’ve started going to gym and working desperately on bend but still not able to cycle.  It seems to me that you’re doing really well. You will realise soon enough that we and our recovery’s are all different!  Good luck with the rest of your recovery.
    • Posted

Thank you Sharon, I am looking forward to start swimming as soon as I am able to drive because I think that will help a lot 
  • Posted

I've borrowed my neighbours exercise bike and I couldn't pedal all the way round to start with. I put the seat as high as it would go to start with and then just pedalled backwards and forwards for a few minutes to warm the joint up and then just went for it. It was painful on the first revolution but soon loosened off and then I was able to drop the seat to a normal height. The problem I seem to have is any ROM I gain in a day has gone again the following day. I've been stuck at 90 degrees for weeks now 😢

• Posted

At night time I can remember it often seemed like my knee was slow cooking! What i mean is it got all warm, more swollen, and more painful in the evening!I think a lot of healing happens in the night, when resting (even when sleep disturbed,) and so it is possible i guess that this change in your bend the next day is just related to that?

Dunno, just a theory! 😀

Try not to think of it as being stuck...

Or stubborn!I think it might be waiting for you to look the other way and then sneak forward when you are not looking!

Still early days...

Really early.

Try and relax about it, just keep nudging it along, and

• Posted

Thank you very much it’s getting better all the time will keep going 
  • Posted

I'm close to the 8 week mark and was just finally able to mask a complete revolution today! Up to this point I was only able to Bob.i was disappointed but I knew it was just a matter of time. Hang in there!😁

• Posted

Thank you, I think I am trying to run before I can walk, will persevere 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.