Physio

Posted , 13 users are following.

Need to ask you lovely folks just over 4 weeks post TKR and the PT tells me I should be able to peddle the excersise bike all the way round , I have tried on my last session but I cannot do it , I can go back and forth as far as it hurts so much, I can’t go on is it just me or is it normal. 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, you can go all the way around but not with the seat so high that it requires a full 0-degree leg extension.  Very few people get to 0-degrees in 4 weeks.  Lower the seat and work on the rotation...comes with time and effort.  We all heal at our own pace.  There is no such thing as "should" with a TKR recovery.

• Posted

Took me awhile due to all the swelling I had. Once the swelling went down I finally made it all the way around. Pedal forwards a bit until you reach your limit, then reverse and pedal until you reach THAT limit. Eventually it will come.

Take some Ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory medication about an hour before PT. It really helped me.

Be patient.

There are no SHOULDS in TKR recovery. It will happen when you and your body are ready!

(TKRs June and October 2015)

• Posted

Go backwards 1st. Believe it or not this I dc one part of this rehab where its o.k. to go backwards 1st. At 4 weeks you are lucky to be staying on the bike let alone peddling. Just keep working slow and steady. It'll all come in time. Don't be discouraged if you have to continue to start backwards every time you get on the bike for quite awhile because this all takes time to retrain the muscles and other soft tissue. Sometimes you swear they disconnected your leg from your brain for weeks to come. Hang in there. It WILL get better.

• Posted

Hi

Even around 12 weeks at first it was difficult before I rode a few miles to get the peddles around correctly ( with the saddle high)

PT persons have not had a TKR.

Good healing

• Posted

Everyone is different in what they can and cannot do!

I could do it but was not expecting to, but another lady in my physio group could not ...we are simply all individuals.

Backwards is sometimes found to be easier than forwards by some folk.

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. There is an abridged version which is shorter as well! It has a lot of useful suggestions and information.

• Posted

Thank you Jenny I looked at your profile some helpful points there 
  • Posted

I wasn't able to pedal all the way around at 8 weeks but my issue was that I had adhesions so no matter what I did or the pt did, it just wouldn't budge. I had to get a knee manipulation to tear the adhesions. I'm not saying that's what's going on with your knee but just keep an eye on it and talk to your surgeon. I would try moving the seat up to wear you can pedal all the way around so you can at least get the motion going in your knee. I wouldn't worry because everyone heals at a different rate and don't let your pt make you worry, they are just trying to push you. I'm finding out the recovery part of knee replacements is the hardest and longest. It's painful, frustrating, and a lot of times you just want to give up. Just stretch as much as you can on your own, ice the knee, and have patience. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.