Physio exercises

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone I just discovered this forum yesterday and wish I had found it ages ago. I had my TKR a week ago and I am trying to keep the home physio exercises going, but am really struggling. I hate the knee bends (using the scarf around the foot and skippy tray) and these triggered a lot of pain yesterday. This morning the inside of my knee is very sore, would it be ok to leave off the physio for a day? Many thanks.

0 likes, 32 replies

Report / Delete

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

*slippy tray!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Dear RooQ

I have not done my exercises as they should be done on the beginnig. The reason was that it was jus very painfull and it was always "I will do it tomorrow". I regret it very much, after a year my bend is just over 90 degrees.  Althouth now I am at they gym 5 times a week, it is too late to improve the bend.  I will have second TKR done soon, and I will be working very hard right from the beginning. So please take my adivice and work a it even  through the pain.  Painkillers, wait 20 min, exercises, ice.    Wishing you well -Grace

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

HI RooQ

I am about 11 weeks post TKR so I can remember how you are feeling. probably , if like me, why did I have this done?

After just 1 week, small steady excercise is what you need. If it really hurts then stop.

I remember after just one week (I live in France and we have almost 3 weeks residential physio as part of normal health service.It is amazing) I had a plastic ball and I sat on the edge of a treatment couch and just rolled it back and forth just to the point of ouch but scream.

I also had a small skateboard and just rolled that back and forth wil sitting at a dining room type chair. I think movement is good but after just one week, nothing too much.  If it is really hurting then try and do what you can and use ice packs. I hate them but they do work!

Good luck. This is a brilliant forum. Everyone is so supportive and it does make you feel like you are not alone and yes, it does happento other people!!

Lizx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It is a brilliant forum. Lying in bed last night, unable to sleep in the wee small hours, I was able to read comments and fully relate to them, helps you realise everything you are going through is normal. Thanks for those tips, will give them a whirl. Good luck with your recovery process.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Although it's hard doing the physio, it is so important because getting the new knee bending and straightening now means a better long-term outcome.  Are you making sure to take your painkillers? They need at least half an hour to get working, so time an little exercise session after that and then get your ice-pack on afterwards. Even a little bit each day helps.  If the bend up exercise is very sore perhaps focus on the pushing down into the bed one for straightening instead today....slow and steady.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know, you are right, I do recognise how crucial the exercises are, but some days just so hard! 😁 after reading your reply, I am encouraged to pick myself up and get on with it.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Roo .... I was so scared of not being able to bend and straighten my leg that I did overdo it at first but as everyone else has said little and often is sometimes better than nothing at all. Try not to stress and listen to your body just try to do a little extra each day.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

RooQ, if it wasn't for the therapist coming to my flat, I'm not sure how I would have faired in the early stages.  Weeks one and two were the absolute hardest for me - I had both done at the same time. Week three I noticed a shift taking place. By week 5 there were some serious changes and I was advancing up and down stairs (with a cane) and taking walks. Now at 5.5 months I still have some pain and occassional swelling, but sleep and movement is so much better. My bend still isn't where I want it and I will keep pushing that.

Yes, the real encouragement to this site is knowing that your experience is something that others either have, are or will be going through. You aren't losing your mind (at least not completely) and there is hope in the long run...but maybe not any actual running.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Change your exercise. Have a walk instead
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Definitely do something every day . . keep it moving, and try to walk a bit. . .but don't be too hard on yourself!  A week is very early days. . .I was too slow starting, and at twelve weeks still struggling to get more than 100 and less than 10 extension.  Don't forget the pushing the knee down into the bed. it's not usually that painful but easy to forget. . .and the straightening is important as well as the bend!  Take the pain medication, and if yuy haven't got anything strong enough to  keep the pain more or less under control, ask for it!  sometimes these doctors are so mean with pain killers!  they seem to think we are all drug peddlers or something. . . . Also, my surgeon said that with the knee bends, it was more use to use your own muscles to pull the foot back rather than pulling with a belt or scarf . . and when you've reached the limit of what you can do with your own muscles, just push a little bit further . . . 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Worse thing you can do is not do the exercises Hun as you will end up having a manipulation no pain no gain ...yes it does hurt but it does get better the longer you leave it the worse it is I'm eight days in on my second TKR in 15 weeks ...put a price of kitchen roll under your foot and slide the food backwards as far as you can try that then put your good foot in front if bad food and nudge bad foot back a little more on the kitchen roll it will be a bit easier ..it does get easier if you stick to it 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I think doing what you can early is important.  I'm nine weeks and let the straightening go (bend is fine) and am going thru some pain to flatten out the leg. Probably have around 3 degrees still to go and I'm really working at it.  It is 5:30 am and I have been on the bike and have dones stretching exercises and now icing. Had I done this early on I don't think I would be going thru this.  Still don't regret a day.  I can ride my bike to the store, library etc and walk the dog etc.  It is great and getting better.  Hang in there!    Regards from Colorado
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have the problem also with straightening. . I try resting the heel on the  coffee table and putting a two kilo bag of flour on the knee . also pressing it down . . but it usually just springs back again. little by little, i think I'm improving it, but it's painful and slow . . . 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Tenerife,   I'm getting there but it is work/pain.  You don't even want to see the stretches I go thru for this!  Hope you are well and weather good on the island.  Take care!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sun came out yesterday, and we thought it was the end of the bad weather. . but today, back to grey and miserable!  south of the island, as usual, is bathed in sunshine though!  Bad cough and bronchitis, but no sign of any problem with the knee thank heavens!
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up