Physio manipulation

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I went to the physio yesterday, my knee was still at 90 degrees, no change in two weeks.

The physio decided to do manual manipulation on it. He worked for about 15 mins and got 96 degree bend.

It was only slightly uncomfortable, not painful when he did it. But about an hour later it really started to hurt.

i have taken painkillers but had no sleep. My knee is swollen again.

Has anyone else had this? Does it stop hurting and swelling soon?

Caz - 8 weeks post op

0 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Caz

my physio did that to me and as you say no sleep etc.... Keep icing as often as you can this weekend and take your painkillers regularly ...try to do the exercises and I assure you it will settle down  in a couple of days

Jean 

• Posted

Jean, It's 4 days since my physio manipulated my knee. It's really stiff now. Every time I stop moving, sittling, laying or standing, it gets that feeling that others have spoken about on here, it feels like a tight band, almost vice like.

I am trying to keep exercising, but it hurts. Do you think my physio did something wrong to it? Did this happen to you?

Caz

• Posted

Hi Caz

what you are experiencing is exactly what I'm still having 2 week on ...my knee is so tight 

I saw my GP the other day and mentioned this ...she gave mt knee a thorough examination and said everything was ok.... She also said the manulation had kick started the nerves..muscles etc...into action ... Hence the pain ..and I must carry on with the exercises but not vigorously.... Do them as many times a day as I can ....often then ice ...which I have done ...and found that my thigh no onager feels dead ...so something has improved there.... I just want my knee not to hurt so much ....bedtime and sleep is still a big problem for me.

so don't worry your Physio should not have done you any harm 

Jean 

• Posted

Woke up in the middle of the night Caz in agony and I had physio 2 days ago TKRs are not for cissies eh? smile
    • Posted

Fran you are so right, it is not for the faint hearted, I have been ok with bends excreta from day one. But the continual pain and depression are soal destroying . Hang on in there things do improve eventually . Love to you all who are suffering these bend problems as if things are not bad enough eh? Take care x
    • Posted

Yes, I thought I was over the tears, but last night I had a good old cry for nothing particularly, just so fed up with this.

The shocks have gone, but today I keep getting a stabbing pain in my thigh. 

I have been trying to exercise today Jean, but it hurts, so I will ice and try to de-swell.

I really trust my physio, he is a little old guy who has seen me through two arthroscopies and now this TKR. Yesterday was the first time he has ever touched me.

How are you both today Fran, Tucks, I hope things get brighter x

Caz - Australia 8 weeks post TKR

• Posted

biggrinHi Caz

i know what you mean about the tears they come for no apparent reason.

but today put your feet up ...look after yourself ...Eat  Chocolate ....read a good book ...watch a film (not a weepy)

Jean

• Posted

Oh dear girls I was feeling so sorry for myself this morning so I stayed in bed untill 11-55!! How lazy am I and do you know what himself coooked me a breakfast,the first time in 45 years and it wasnt half bad either,I allways thought he couldnt cook! Hes been holding out on me all these years smile I think I did too much yesterday simple as that. Whats the tears all about eh?? It was like post natal all over again,the poor man was bewildered smile Much more cheerful today. smile
    • Posted

Hello 

I stayed in bed today until dinner time ...weather misty wet and miserable

and I understand about your other half hiding his cooking skills

mine too I've been married 58 years and he's cooked every day since I've been put of hospital up until now he's never cooked 

And it's so strange how I never feel well when It's time to cook ......that's a new skill I'VE learned since my Op

biggrin

• Posted

Hi Caz. I feeling ok today and managed to get my little walk in but I have been really tearful this week, feel that nobody loves me which is rubbish, feeling I will never be my old self again, which of course I will. Problem is the knee seems to dominate my every thought, I know I have turned the corner but the pain still comes and goes, defying every thing I do and living alone I have no one to rant to, or cry on their shoulder. I was never like this before the op I was posotive and fun loving. My god what have they done to me lol keep well my freind love from tucks
    • Posted

So then fran you have have some lovely TLC today, you deserve it my freind, so himself can cook a good breakfast eh?  Could you hire him out for me for a couple of weeks, just what I could do with, I'm a bit fed up with toast. Take care and enjoy the new him xx
    • Posted

Oh take it from Tucks this will be a one off smile Hes allready moaning about his bad back ( still managed a couple of hours on the green though) smile
    • Posted

I think your a hero doing this on your own Tucks!! Pain is all consuming and is like a tidal wave sometimes, and overtakes you when you least expect it, now you just have a good old rant to us love. smile 

• Posted

Oh Jean you must be living round the corner smile What a lousy day eh? It does seem to go on for a long time this knee thing,its been a month tomorrow for me and I suddenly feel I am still a long way off. The trouble is we have expectations of ourselves and sometimes they are just a wee bit unrealistic.
    • Posted

I think your a hero doing this on your own Tucks!! Pain is all consuming and is like a tidal wave sometimes, and overtakes you when you least expect it, now you just have a good old rant to us love. smile 

• Posted

Oh Caz, are you really in Australia??? My boy is in Sydney, I know this has absolutely nothing to do with the thread but G,day to you Caz smile
    • Posted

Yes Fran you are right 

I thought as I'm such a positive person I thought I'd sail through it

but Like everyone else on here I've suffered ..the weepy stage ...sleepless nights ...which are still ongoing....and the Pain 

i think we have to make the most of the good days 

and feel sorry for ourselves on the bad days 

but every day gets better 

Jean 

( I'm in sheffield )

• Posted

Not wishing to pry Jean but have you had a bath yet? I would love to have a long soak and so far ( 4 weeks) I have only managed a shower! Had a fit of giggles an hour ago trying to get down into the bath fully clothed just to see if I could do it! No luck. I honestly thought I would be almost back to " normal" by now but the body thinks differently sad I was lucky, my local council gave me a temporary blue badge so we can park in the disabled space outside Asda the only trouble is I can barely get round a couple of aisle before I grind to a halt smile
    • Posted

Hi 

I would love a nice long soak in the bath but no such luck,... I do shower (honestly). So if you walk past me in Asda you won't need to hold your nose ...lol

i have a problem with my back which has prevented me for getting in the bath but it still doesn't stop me craving a soak 

• Posted

smile Oh Jean. We wont pass each other in Asda Im in North East Scotland, years ago I worked in social work and all kinds of aids were available including a bath lift,but resources are so depleted now that its only supplied for those who have a permanent disability,and thats fair enough. Someone said to me recently," well Fran, a bath is nice but its not essential" and I suppose she,s right,oh but a glass of cold wine, candles and a hot bath.......
    • Posted

What. Lovely thought 

I'm afraid the bath lifts  aren't supplied here.... Even though my back problem is permanent

but you learn to live with things and keep smiling

i don't think I'll be shopping in your Asda  I couldn't stand the car journey

• Posted

Yes Fran, we emigrated in 1989. I'm from Stanmore Middlesex and hubby is from Hastings, East Sussex.

We first emigrated to Sydney, so I know it well.

We moved to Perth 20 years ago.

Yuou guys talk of the bad weather, I feel sorry for you, I know I would be an aching wreck. But it's so frustrating, beautiful sunshine outside, my garden is suffering because I am. I feel more of a woos now, crying in the sun!

Thank you for helping me through this. Xx

My husband does all the cooking anyway, picked a good one there

• Posted

I was thinking of going to the gym and into the spa there. I too am craving a long rest in warm water. Trust me to have this done when our local gym is shut for renovations, it has a hydrotherapy pool.

Maybe try your gyms, a few steps done into a warm spa ..... Mmmmm

• Posted

Hi Tucks, So good you got your walk. I think it's important to try and walk each day. I live on a hill, so I walk around my house and garden for 20 mins. Round the living room, down the hall, through the laundry, out and round the pool, back through the doors into the living room and start again.

You would laugh if you could see me, I have three great Danes and they all follow me! It's like the pied piper.

I hope that made you laugh xxx

• Posted

Reading all the posts about pools etc.... Makes me envious but here in the UK we're lucky if we have a fish pond in our back gardensbiggrin

I'm having another one of my sleepless nights this is the 5th time I've been awake 

you all take care 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Tucks, know just how you feel about being tearful. It must be harder being on your own too. It's just so relentless isn't it? I got so fed up yesterday after shopping for about an hour. My leg was so sore I just couldn't concentrate on what I was trying to buy. I'd wanted to buy some presents for my grandchildren too. Please keep ranting on here to us if it helps. We know what you're going through. As I'm a bit further on than you I wish I could say it gets better but i haven't got there yet! You may well make it before me 😊 Hope you have a good day today. Jen x
    • Posted

Hi Jean, There is no need to be jealous of my pool. It was wonderful when the kids were little. Now it's just another thing for attention. It has always been a cold pool, with the trees along one side, now it's too cold for me. II just ache when I get in. I can't remember the last time we used it, it's just there. We are thinking of turning it into a very large pond.

I have had a really lazy Sunday. We have been watching movies and I have exercised and iced. I feel much better, loved and positive.

I hope you are all feeling the same xx

• Posted

Oh yes Caz that's hilarious, bet your dogs are wondering ,hey what's up with her? But you walking around the house is what I do when it's raining and let's face it its all movement isn't it. Your dogs sound fabulous they are beautiful big softies. At the moment I have my granddaughters York shire terrier with me till they get back from honeymoon, I love him to bits and his name is Tucker. Thank you for your kind words an support, I was in tears again last night, it seems as soon as it gets dark around 4 o'clock here I drift into this feeling sorry fr myself state. I am not comfortable with the dark, driving and can't walk without hanging on to someone desperately. I thought this op would give me some confidence back, instead its left me quivering like a jelly, well perhaps that's an exaggeration but I'm sure you know the feeling. Well onward and upward its not raining so I'm off to do my walk. Take care my freind give those dogs a big hug from me xx
    • Posted

Hi Caz 

it's 11am here and a miserable dull day

i'm going to get wrapped up and go for a walk....a short walk always makes me feel better

then It's cook Sunday lunch 

hopefully my son will arrive with my 5 year old great granddaughter

she's a breath of fresh air ....she's so funny ... With an old head on her shoulders 

the last time she came she said I could borrow her princess outfit to wear as it always made her feel happy

errrrr.....  I'll leave that thought to your imagination biggrin

• Posted

Morning Jen, usually shopping around this time of year is a joy, especially when you have children and grandchildren, one of the many things this op does is take the joy out of living our normal lives, I was in tears last night, no reason cept my knee was sore and my hips were also aching. Love strictly come dancing but can't concentrate on TV , so just watched 10mins and went to bed. I never,ever expected to feel like this, but its done Jen and we will get there eventually, spoke to a lady in the supermarket yesterday, she is late 40ies and had hers done 2years ago, said it took her a year to get right, that cheered me up no end. She's having no2done shortly. Full of praise for her first knee I would.think so after a year. I'm off for my walk now whilst it is still dry. Have a good day my freind lovely to talk to you xx
    • Posted

Cheers fran, lovely to talk to people who understand these problems, feel like hugging you all for your constant support xx
    • Posted

Tucks, is Tucker where you got your username from? Please don't cry, it's only night time. My hubby went to UK for six weeks last year. I didn't go, my knee hurt and I didn't want to spoil his reuniting with his family. We don't get twilight here, one minute it's light, then dark. I dissolved into tears every night. I have always been afraid of the dark.

I don't think this operation is what any of us expected. To be honest, I think the pamphlets should include nd the tears, and feelings of complete helplessness.

How far along are you? I am 8 weeks tomorrow. Have you had one or two TKRs? I don't think I will need the other one done as this was because of a fall. But who knows! ... As Oldfatguy says Such is life

Stay smiling .. Caz x

• Posted

That's good to hear about your friend. Others might think that's bad news that it took her a year to feel right but, like you, I just want to know I'll get better eventually. I've just been for a walk. Enjoyed the fresh air but the back of my knee hurt all the way round! So annoying as the knee itself feels strong. I see the consultant on the 26th so will see what he says. Hope you enjoyed your walk and can enjoy the results show on Strictly tonight. Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to dance like Judy Murray even ? 💃😊😊 
    • Posted

Now Caz what a small world our John lived in Stanmore before we met in the 70s and mysister lives in Armadale, I love WA, but Sydney is my favourite smile Were coming over again in 2015, It was so cold there last Sept we had hot water bottles!! So save the sun for us. I ache today not really pain just a wearying ache!
    • Posted

Hi Fran, Tell John that I lived in St Andrews Drive until 1972, when I married and moved to Edgware. I went to Stanburn Primary school, Chandos ( now Park High) and Harrow Art School. I am 65.

I liked Armadale too, it was horsey when we went there. We lived in Kogarah Bay.

I don't think my knee is ever going to bend more than 90 degrees, it looks as if my bad leg is about 2 inches shorter to the knee than my good one.

Are yours both the same length?

Caz x

• Posted

Now Caz its funny you should say that because I said just that to the physio last week I feel that mine is just a little shorter too and she didnt exactly rush to reassure me! However the upside is I have lost 5lbs!! Almost worth having it done for that smile John says he cant remember what street he lived in but as a teenager he cleaned all the posh houses in Gordon Park!
    • Posted

Hi Caz . Got it in one the user name . Tucker is such a lovely little dog and I love him to bits. I will be 14weeks on Thursday Caz so well on the way I hope. Had to see my optition yesterday. I have a cateract that will have to be removed next year, we talked about the problems with the dark, said the cateract was defiantly affecting the problem, apparently its something to do with the lens not being able to adjust to light and dark quickly so therefore night blindness occurs. Lots of people suffer from this which results in being unable to function properly in the dark. I see to be walking well again today, touch wood eh? Take care tucks.x
    • Posted

Hi Jen would that I could dance even to her standard, she was very gracious in defeat. Had a good walk today whilst it was dry, did my excersises and had 5mins on exc bike. I really feel physically I have turned the corner but emotionally ? The juries out on that one. Hope you have had a good day love tucks 
    • Posted

Hi Tucks, sounds like you're doing really well. Good for you👍  Had bit of a mixed day. Not too bad walking this morning but aching like mad doing baking this afternoon. Yet after a sit down for a while got up and went in car to GP and the muscles in my leg had loosened up and walking was ok. It's so strange how this pain comes and goes. GP gave me some Ibuprofen gel to try. I can't take Ibuprofen as I have a stomach problem but she reckons topically it should be ok. Sure they've told me differently in the past but I'll give it a go. Keep on hoping 😊 Good luck with the cataract operation. I'm sure it won't be as traumatic as TKR and you should be so much better walking at night then. Keep up the good work and progress 😊 Jen x
    • Posted

Oh Tucks, that would make things really hard. I dont suppose another stint in hospital is number one on your wishlist at the moment. And the phrase, it will be worth it in time is getting a bit worn out too, what with this knee.

I have to be really careful if I get up in the night not to fall over the dogs. They all crowd into the bedroom, it's not too bad with the boys as they are black and white harlequins, but Layla is blue, which is grey, I just don't see her. I have twisted my ankle so many times falling over her in the night.

My knee is still stiff today but not sp painful, a little more exercise today.

Caz x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.