Physio Theraphy

Posted , 13 users are following.

How many days after your TKR did you start your therapy? I'm 6 days post op and even though I can walk very well, I'm finding it very difficult.  

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Anne: I had a PKR and started in-home therapy 3 days after my surgery.

• Posted

Thanks deb. I will have a go at it. 
  • Posted

Hi Anne, I had bilateral tkr and started home therapy 6 days later. Three times a week for two weeks. Doctor wanted me up and doing as much as possible as soon as possible without over working. Im glad I did, made going to therapy at rehab center so much easier.
    • Posted

Roma

Did you have both knees done at the same time . I did end of Jan. I did pt the day after surgery.

• Posted

Tana, yes on March 24th. I was in three days total. Had physical therapy and occupational therapy twice day 2 and 3. Then home for Easter and therapy at home that week
    • Posted

Roma

I had home health care for a short time .was in a rehab place for 12 days have been going to the pool, love the pool. Just for giggles I went back to work Mothers Days waiting tables that was interesting. All you can do is keep plugging along.

• Posted

Tana,

I go to wellness/fitness center twice a week. Hoping to get in the pool soon. Getting better day by day. Lots of good tips from all on this forum.

• Posted

I was doing parts of therapy in the hospital. The last 3 times I went to a rehab facility for 3 weeks as my wife's health won't allow her to give me as much care as required. I started therapy 2x's a day immediately.
  • Posted

Hi Anne, good news on your walking!

Regarding therapy, I guess it depends what you include. I saw a physio for about ten mins a day while in hospital. Her aim was to get me on my feet, doing transfers to and from the loo etc, and learning three basic exercises. These were thigh tightening, straight leg raise and knee flex ion.

As soon as I could do these, I was discharged. My first proper physio session as such is next week ( 4 weeks post op), and I'm lucky in that the rule of thumb around here is six weeks.

i would love more physio and it seems very necessary to me.....but that's what we get. When do you expect to start? 

• Posted

My first app is thur. Before I left the hospital I did leg raises, foot pulls and the stairs. This is my 2nd one, last one dec 2014. The difference is to good to be true. I'll work on those tomorrow. OFG, I'm taking your advise and drinking lots. 
  • Posted

I started the day of surgery and each day in hospital, then started outpatient PT a couple of days after going home.  Still doing 3x weekly plus doing my own at home on other days.  I'm 4 weeks post op, walking unaided since first week.  The PT and icing are most important in my opinion.  I stopped taking any pain meds when I left hospital, take Tylenol if I need pain management.

• Posted

wow Jean, walking unaided after one week? That's incredible! Are you young or just incredibly fit? I'm 78 but did a marathon at 60 jogged till 74 and now 2 weeks post op walking on two sticks, Did you push yourself to walk unaided? What did Drs, Physio say? Anyway very well done!!!!
    • Posted

Oh no, not young.  I am soon to be 75.  I was amazed at how well I did with the knee so soon after surgery too. I saw my dr one week post op. I was using a walker but when he saw how well I walked he told me to get rid of it so I did.   However, I have had other issues!  In hospital I had some kidney problems and had to stay two extra days.  I attributed it to the pain meds they gave me, so I stopped taking them and only take Tylenol now when needed. Then I had very troublesome issues with very low blood pressure which made me feel dizzy and faint much of the time.  I also had the sense of utter exhaustion.  Then to top things off, I ended up in hospital for two days last week because of chest pains.  They did every test possible and found nothing.  Of course we were all concerned with blood clot.  If I had known all the pitfalls and side effects of TKR I wonder if I would have done it.  The point for everyone to remember is, each of us is very different, will have very different healing times, pain thresholds, and results.  Soldier on, do your best, push yourself but not to the point of agony, do those exercises faithfully and use ice.  Happy healing everyone!  So glad to have found this group!
    • Posted

Thanks Jean

You have been through the mill - hope things really look up from now on!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.