physiotherapist

Posted , 11 users are following.

i am having a tkr in september is it a good idea to have extra physio once the nhs has seen you and if so does anyone know of a good one in essex

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dave IdK im in the US and I only got 4 sessions with my left and 5 with my right as per my ins company. It's good to get yourself prepared if u can physically for the surgery. It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be...gl next month

• Posted

Hi Dave

I had all my physio private and it's been great.

Far better than NHS community.

I went to the Spire Private Hospital it was £36 per hour but money well spent. I am still receiving treatment as in the early days of TKR. I went prior to my op so I strengthened my leg and thigh muscles in preparation, It's definitely paid off. I was walking up and downstairs with no problemon the third day.

Jackie X

• Posted

Hi, I would Google this!   Prepare yourself for the fact it will hurt, lots!!!!!! 

Say, 3 weeks out and you may see a light over the horizon. Mask away on here, always someone to halt.  Best wishes 

• Posted

Nhs were brilliant on Merseyside, my first tkr12 mths ago I had about 10 weeks of physio and I struggled,but they wouldn't discharge me till I was confident. My second tkr 6 wks ago was soo much easier, bend came quicker and I only needed a couple of physio sessions. Every knee is different. I would suggest you strengthen your quad muscles and stretch your hamstrings before surgery, pretty easy exercises on you tube, don't think you would need physio before if you do those two things

• Posted

Hi. I'm just over 5 weeks since my TKR. I had a look on you tube at the.pre-op excercises and did them myself at home. I am now having physio at Spire Hospital in Hertfordshire. I know there is one in Essex. Good luck

• Posted

I had my first TKR at Harlow three years ago and had amazing  care with several sessions at the knee gym after surgery.

one week ago I had my other TKR at The Rivers...private hospital as NHS patient which was amazing. I will be returning there for 3/4 sessions of Physio.

With regard to Physio before surgery I am not sure that you would need to have one to one sessions but it's very helpful to strengthen the leg muscles in preparation to make your life a bit easier after.

Wish you all the best...it's a long and at times quite difficult road but most certainly worth going through it all.

• Posted

Hi Dave, I'm in Australia but definitely try and get your quads and hammys as strong as you are able to prior to your surgery .. will help you greatly afterwards smile

• Posted

Hello Dave

My first TKR was in January of this year and the second was in March. When I went in there I felt very strong having worked out on an elliptical machine every day for 1 hour. At that time I would double or triple wrap my knees in athletic support sleves. Wrapping took away any discomfort exercising or daily living caused on my bone on bone situation. I truly did go into the surgeries fit and strong.

But I cannot express to you enough that this was for me the biggest physical hurddle l have ever had to overcome. Being strong overall will help you in more ways than you know. You will find that having strong arms will be much to your advantage as well as having strong quads. I also found that I lost about one stone from just being in the hospital in pain discomfort.

Do whatever you can to prepare yourself physically and having very strong support system post surgery is very beneficial to your healing. Also follow all the post-operative instructions including taking your pain meds as well as physical therapy.

But all is not daunting, at almost 7 months after my first. TKR I can definitely say that there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel.

It's most difficult Dave in the beginning I'll have to say but if you can get through it, it's definitely, definitely worth it ...best wishes to you, and refer back to this forum. There are excellent people with great advice here and you'll find that it's a great place to talk to people who have been through the very same experiences you have been through. Best wishes once again, and God bless.

• Posted

I should have mentioned that the pain and discomfort was not just being in the hospital it was overall post operative for a long period of time

• Posted

Hi Deborah, I'm just on 10mths post op and still have alot of pain and discomfort like now it's 4.50am as my knee is playing up and unable to sleep .. it's a long journey.

• Posted

I had a partial knee replacement in Nov 2015. For some 8 weeks prior to surgery I had a therapist work on my right leg to help me strengthen quads and hams. I paid for it myself and didn't consult, tell, or advise anybody - just did it. Yeah sure it cost but hey ho - it was a big help.

More importantly, after surgery, and after removal of dressing I went back for ongoing massage of knee and surgical scar to prevent scar tissue forming. I then passed all the medical mileposts, off crutches at 8 weeks back to work driving buses at 11 weeks, swelling all gone and no issues at all.

In my opinion in UK the NHS will only do minimum to aid patient recovery, basically its a financial thing and they don't give a stuff. The rest of it is up to the patient to sort themselves out.

In terms of patient aftercare I achieved more from my therapist than I did from NHS. I was happy to open the wallet up. Job done. Life back to normal.

John

• Posted

Wow John .. I only hope I have as much success as you with my other knee when it's done .. I couldn't drive for about 14wks and now at 10mths post op still can only drive short distances!  You were definitely one of the lucky ones smile 

Cheers Tracey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.