PKD Kidney size discomfort and remedies

Posted , 4 users are following.

My kidney cysts are growing quite quickly in the last few years, and I have a lot of discomfort associated with this aspect. My Father's kidneys were quick large when taken out for transplant, so I know that might be my story as well. I am finding it hard to find anything that helps, or how to even wear more appropriate clothing to prevent discomfort. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I also have a kidney cyst that has grown, but it has not bothered me till now. 

Do you have many cysts and how does it discomfort you?

• Posted

Hi there. If they cause too much trouble the options are kidney removal which is obviously quite severe, or you may be able to get them aspirated. I've never needed that but I know people who have. That will fill back up through time but it gives short term relief. You may find they also burst and the discomfort will be relieved but be ready for bloody urine

• Posted

ok .... so you mean Polycsytic kidneys are painful ? 
    • Posted

Can be rocky. Mines are riddled and the discomfort can be the cysts, or as the cysts grown they push other internal organs out the way to the point the abdomen is stretched to accommodate the kidneys. Can be 4-5 times normal size. So big in fact that they may need to be removed to allow space for a transplant. They are also potential sights for localised infection which would also be painfull. On the bright side, it doesn't interfere with EPO production.

• Posted

Ok, that good to know. I have only one cyst on my right kidney. 
  • Posted

Just an idea but I would ask your ur doctor about sclerotherapy. The use a n Edie to puncture the cysts thereby draining fluid and reducing pain. I don't know all the details but worth asking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.