PKR cost - private in the UK (Bristol)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone

New to this side of the forums smile

I have been told I need a PKR because of my OA and Meniscus, I am now bone on bone.  I was told at the end of April it would be September, which I was happy with, now it seems it may be November.  I have contacted the CCG because their website (updated in May, probably just a week or two after my initial consultation) was quoting 42-49 weeks.  I'm pretty sure when I made my choice of hospitals it did not say 42-49 days otherwise I may well have chosen to go elsewhere!

I just wondered if anyone in the UK has gone down the private route, what your experiences were and how much this would cost?  

Many thanks in advance.

Lynne

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi and welcome!

I'm with the NHS, but actually looked into going private at the start of my TKR journey.

To have it done completely private, at the Nuffield which I think is nationwide, I was quoted £10,500. To go private through the NHS, I was told £7500. Bloody annoying that whichever option I chose I would have the same surgeon, even in the Nuffield, but it would be done within a couple of weeks rather than 3 months!maybe if the surgeon's concentrated on NHS work the waiting lists wouldn't be so long grrrrrrrr!!

• Posted

I had first  knee done privately in 2011 , and I knew I would not go back again if I needed to stay in,  day patients no problem.  Yes it was nice to have room to yourself and China cups but number one I couldn't eat as I felt yuk and two the after care did not have a patch on NHS,  I had my second knee done in May and the after  care was superb, they were on the ball with pain relief and I was told if your pain is not under control you cannot do your exercises,  so I suppose it's all down to  individual choice,  I wish  you luck,  jackie 
  • Posted

Thanks Terri and Jackie.  

I'm frustrated about the waiting times because the times I have been quoted seem rather misleading, so I've asked the CCG to look into it and update me.  Also, we've just paid for my husband to have HoLEP surgery (prostate) privately (through Addenbrookes as a private patient, a kind of half private half NHS arrangement) because Bristol hasn't invested in the technology and we were refused funding to go elsewhere, even though NICE recommend BOTH procedures.  We are both supporters and fans of the NHS however, we feel as though we have been let down in our hour of need, but I don't want to get into a political discussion because actually I think this is an idealogical problem with this current gov,  come the revolution wink

I'm just putting out feelers so that I'm armed with some information should the need arise, so thanks for your input but I acknowledge that it would probably be the same surgeon on the NHS as would do it privately. 

Lynne

• Posted

If you can before your surgery start excerising try to get some flexibility in your muscles it might make your recovery a little easier and yes it's a long process to recover I'm back to work on a light duty with limited walking. But everybody is different and heal differently mine has been slow I'm at 3 and 1/2 months
  • Posted

It was 11,000 bupa hospital package included follow up and some Physio sessions and hydrotherapy. It was very convenient as I could set my date. I had a lot explained and from these forums some do not always have that. My mum went nhs the same time and whilst the op itself was the same of course, the care, attention and individual support was not as good nor was the follow up. It was really important to me to be in my own room as I am a very light sleeper too so post op rest was possible even when sleep was not. I'm an nhs supporter but went against my own principles out of desperation for a date and not wanting to wait or risk cancellation. It was worth it psychologically and I am now saving for my right knee!! You can check prices on spire healthcare website.
  • Posted

Well I am NHS but was referred to private hospital through NHS, my story is on here, and it isn't a good one, the waiting time where I am was up to 18 weeks I like you have oa and needed pkr on both knees, as was bone on bone, very painfull, so I only waited five weeks for first one as took cancelation, then had second one ,also on a cancelation ,11 weeks following the first , that was three weeks ago, . The hospital has a really good reputation, but if you read on here, my stay both times, were nightmares, and literally made me  ill , from being so upset by it. But on the brighter side , I have had both knees done, and now I just have what's turning out to be , quite a slow recovery, but at least the ops are behind me. So good luck with yours. I'll watch to see how you get on😀💐
  • Posted

Hi everyone

Just thought I would let you know I have a date for my op 18th September, consultation next week.  I don't know if my 'nudge' to the CCG helped (it was the Complaints and FOI Manager who responded to me) but at least I'm moving along.  It's going to be at The Spire, which I've heard good and bad things about, but my Consultant is the same guy with the NHS.  

I've been doing yoga 2/3 times a week for the past 2 yrs, and have been very fit in the past (cycled around the world 2008/2010) so I'm hoping my recovery will be swift but having read quite a lot of stories on here I'm not complacent.  I have embarked on some strengthening exercises and using the static cycle trainer which will, hopefully, also help.  In any case, we are setting off on another long bike trip next year but we will take the first 6 months slowly and not go straight into the Himalayas smile

Lynne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.