PKR - new pain

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi All! I posted about 19 days ago about a new pain that I was experiencing. I took the advice and backed off a lot at the gym. I also started using the pool. The pain has not gone away, in fact it's gotten more frequent and is making it hard to sleep. I scheduled a dr appt for Friday. If it was an infection I would be sick, right? Could this pain and limiting movement, along with a crunchy sound, be scar tissue? I have started to use a TENS unit but I am not seeing any improvement.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

what style are you using in the pool
    • Posted

I know it was a weird question. The reason I asked was, depending on the style of swimming you use,could have a counter effect on your knees.  

Legs straight in the water is fine. Kicking is fine S is water aerobics, some swimming styles are not good for healing or muscle development

• Posted

They advise you not to use breast stroke because it twists the knee.
    • Posted

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the leg movements of the breast stroke are not advised in the first 6 months post opp.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know what could be causing your pain and "crunchy" sound, hopefully your Doctor will be able to put your mind at rest.

• Posted

Thanks. I had the pain before I went in the water. I guess I will wait until I see him
  • Posted

Hi I was told by physio not to do breast stroke as it isn't good for recovery. She told me that if I go swimming the best thing is to just walk across the water as the resistance is a good exercise. I find that if I do lots of stretching exercises then my pain isn't as bad. If I get up on the morning and don't do the stretching exercises then I seem to be achey all day. You have done the right thing by booking to see doctor. Best of luck Jannette
  • Posted

Yes definitely told not to swim breaststroke as it is bad for the knees and can deform them ,front crawl or backstroke are recommended by pt
  • Posted

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the infection at this point .....but no....not necessarily so. The 1st infection I had my leg blew open like a rotten egg. I was very Ill. 2nd time it came back it hadn't gotten to that point. It was found because of new and ongoing pain.
    • Posted

Hi, you seem to be very kmowledgeable about surgeries. Have you had nerve problems after tkr? As in needles and pins? I had manipulation yesterday. Can't really see much improvement in my pain. Was hoping the scar tissue was causing my sensitivity. But apparently it didn't help. My kneecap is very tender, and sensitive to the touch. I can't lay the ice bag on it, because of the weight.

• Posted

Always.....nerves are The slowest/longest/most unpredictable part of the healing. When you consider you have basically had your leg detached and hooked back on its no wonder you have the pain. If you discuss this with your primary are dr, many have good luck with gabepentin. Its an inexpensive drug with literally no side effects. I started having the pins and needles sensation into my lower leg an foot. The pain management Dr hit me with a high doseage 300 mg 3 x's a day. The first dose I took cut the pain 80-90% and it hadn't bothered me for the last month. The 1st time I took it years ago I thought it was a waste but this guy said it was too low of doseage. Yours will decrease with time I'm sure but personally, I'm not an advocate of gritting my teeth and living through it if I don't have to.
    • Posted

I had a PKR and my nerve pain was the worst, but people on the thread let me know if was normal. I hope you still feeling better

• Posted

id check out crunching sound if the knee gives way .i had that on my first tkr it was loose cement which showed up in a xray . im not sure how long since your surgery but if this is the case do go !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Posted

That sounds horrible. How does it even happen. I've been taking it easy and waiting for pain to go away, but it hasn't. Hopefully, it's nothing or maybe just bursitis. My knee likes to fill up with fluid but I thought the surgery would have fixed thst. It's always something. Thanks for the reply
  • Posted

When did you have your TKR

I had mine on the 13 th February and the pain seems to be getting worse not better.

I hate nighttime because I'm in pain and I can't get comfortable

I feel like I've pulled a muscle.

I am seeing the consultant on Saturday but having an X-ray tomorrow

I feel for you and suggest you take it easy for a while.

It's a big operation.

Before I had the op - people were singing its praises

Oh it's marvellous you will be so glad you had it done etc

But nobody mentioned the pain

• Posted

I had my meniscus repaired first the a PKR in November. The pain was horrible and your surgery wasn't that long ago. Nighttime was the worst, but it does start feeling better. I promise. I thought I made it and it would be smooth sailing, but out of the blue I started experiencing pain which is gradually getting worse. I have been taking it easy but I'd really like to know what is going on. Good luck. It will get better

• Posted

Hi Mary,

just like you, I talked to others who had tkr. None of them told me about how painful it would be, or that it would change my life so much! But once the surgery was over , those same people would tell me how the recovery could take a long time. My surgeon told I should be ok after 3 months. Next week will be 4 months. Yesterday I had a manipulation, which I was hoping would help with the nerve pain but it didn't.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.