PKR then shortly after had to have a total?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

18 months ago I had a partial KR. twice in the last 6 months I have had to have fluid removed which was blood. I was told that I may need to have a total. I am freaking out to say the least. Has anyone else had to go through this ?

I am doing alright as long as I don't do any lifting (maybe this is what causing the fluid ?) (hence part of the reason to have had the PKR was because I wanted to be able to lift , carry grandchildren.) I am 59. Plus I run a business so the thought of having the total and being laid up as much as I here from on this site it is with the total is making me nausea. I was back at it at 4 weeks with the partial. I did very good  with recovery.

It isn't urgent that I have it done but I feel as though I am back to having to be "careful" with the PKR until at which time I decide to do the total. I am still very happy that my leg is straight which I became very knocked kneed prior.  And for the most part I think I am doing pretty good except when these flair ups occur.

Tomorrow I am going in for x-ray, extraction

and cortisone shot.

I know how painful the extraction is but never had cortisone shot. Is it true they are also as horrific as the extraction of fluid?

Thank you.

Debbie

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The steroid shot is a 10-second piece of cake.  Helps with the inflammation and pain.  Takes a few days to take full effect.  If you are a diabetic, increase your insulin...a lot!!!  Cortisone (any steroid) will wreak havoc on your blood sugar readings.
  • Posted

Hi Debbie, Don't worry, the steroid injection is nothing, didn't bother me at all. The next day, was as red as a beetroot though, -- normal for steroid injections! But I didn't find it all that bad.

TKR is no worse than a partial, in fact when you've also had a partial first you will know what to expect.

I've had both knees done, and coped pretty well, it depends on your pain thresholds I think, so the posts on here that are scaring you aren't necessarily typical. People who had no problems don't usually post on forums. You'll be fine once the first few weeks are over if you decide to go ahead with it.

• Posted

Laura

Thank you , thank you , thank you,

Exactly what I needed to hear ! 

Positivity is what I need now. 

Appreciate you responding .

Debbie xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.