Posted , 10 users are following.

I've just been prescribed Tramadol ....and I'm not sure how to take it

i. Read that you let it dissolve in your mouth 

has anyone else had this medication?

2 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Please don't let it dissolve in your mouth. Take up to 2 with water, after food. Also no more than 8 in 24 hrs. Hope this helps 
    • Posted

Thank you 

this site is wonderful ,.....so much information ...you never feel alone 

• Posted

jean -- i am very surprised your doc prescribed tramadol.  it is not a classic choice for sleep problems.  it is part of the opiate family, has LOAD of side effects (dizziness and nausea being the two which stick in my mind) and is, of course, highly addictive. as far as i know and can read in the internet, tramadal is for pain.  severe pain.  this is why i got it on day 2 after the operation but had a severe reaction to it.  i wouldn't take it.  and definitely NOT for sleep problems. 
    • Posted

It's the pain from the knee and sciatica that's keeping me awake at night ....perhaps I didn't explain it right on here ....I think she means to deal with the pain will help me get some sleep 
    • Posted

gosh, yes, you did start a kind of sh*t storm rolleyes  righto, i now understand.  good luck with it, jean, if it works for you and you get some rest, that itself will help with the pain.
    • Posted

I still had a restless night ...pain in my thigh ...but  this morning I noticed the numbness had gone and the feeling was back ....
  • Posted

Yes Jean intake Marol 100mg

tramadol hydrochloride

2 per day 

if you have been prescribed this powerful painkiller

the instructions should have been printed by the dispencing

chemist - mine reads " swallow this medicine whole- do not chew

or break - do not drink alcohol while taking this drug

- warning this medicine may make you sleepy

if this happens do not drive or use use tools or

machines"

hope this info helps

this pain killer is best prescription drug available in UK 

TODAY

best wishes

simon Jude

• Posted

Thank you ....I will only take them at night so I get some sleep 

these are 50mg  it says on the front of the box 1or 2 tablets 4 times per day  

but as I say I will just use them to get some sleep.

there were no instruction leaflet inside the packet .

• Posted

POST TKR ,IN HOSPITAL,THEY GAVE ME TRAMADOL....I DID WELL WITH THIS DRUG ....MUCH LESS NAUSEA THAN OTHER NARCOTICS...THEY GAVE IT WITH A GLASS OF WATER
    • Posted

I hear a lot of people say how good Tramadol is but I was never offered it before

and now at 9 weeks plus and still in pain i've just started with sciatica on same side as knee op

so fingers crossed they will do the trick 

• Posted

Just as a matter of interest, opioids are not addictive if given to treat severe acute pain which is what Jean has. it seems to me that she needs to treat her pain so that she can get the rest she needs, and maintain adequate mobility. Tramadol will help her sleep because it will relieve the pain that is keeping her awake. A sleeping tablet will not help her sleep if she was in pain. I think it is wise for her to take it in the short term.
    • Posted

Thank you Sandra .....I will definitely only take it short term...and only at night..... 

• Posted

Sorry but your information is flawed

TREMADOL is an addictive drug

thats why my pharmacist gives me a dangerous drug

leaflet every time I collect these.

For you information this us now classified as a controlled drug

so please do not pass ill informed comments

about a drug you obviously have no knowledge of

best wishes to jean

simon Jude 

• Posted

Oh dear.... I'm sorry folks.

I seem to have caused  controversy about the Tramadol issue 

please  lets just leave it now 

and thank you all for the good advice 

• Posted

I have been taking this drug since January and have given Jean the advice I have been told. Everyone tries to help on this site and I appreciate everyone's advice
    • Posted

I did not say tramadol is not addictive. I said opiods are not usually addictive when used to treat acute pain. To clarify, people do not usually become addicted to opiods when used in the short term to treat acute pain. Or, to put it another way, fear of addiction is not sufficient reason to not use opiods in the short term to treat acute pain. I am also well aware that tramadol is a controlled drug. It is a synthetic opiod. I am also well aware that opiod addiction is a significant problem when they are used inappropriately. I hardly think Jean fits in that category. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.