Plantar Fasciitis

Posted , 60 users are following.

Hey.

I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed as having Plantar Fasciitis in both feet (with one being worse than the other) nearly 2 months ago. I do think I had it long before it was diagnosed but just put the pain down to being on my feet too much. Firstly I tried insoles in my shoes to relieve the pressure. I've recently tried a course of Naproxen (Anti Inflammatory) which also didn't work.

I am now on a waiting list for a steroid injection into the worst foot, the wait apparently is approx 1 month.

Has anyone had the steroid injection? Does it work?

0 likes, 92 replies

92 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you suffer from plantar fasciitis and that you are waiting for treatment.

I had it for nearly a year until I went for 10 sessions of acupuncture and I was given the following gel inserts that really worked and were a great relief. Now I have been pain free for around 5 years.

Maybe you would like to try the gel inserts as well?

Aetrex gel heel cradles - neutral cupped ( Ref: 50750 )

Recommended for relief from plantar fasciitis or general heel pain, these heel cradles are clinically proven to absorb shock and cushion painful heels. Soft gel plugs provide relief at the most sensitive areas, while the medial extension helps support the arch. Made from a medical grade Silicone gel.

I hope you feel better soon!

S.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as we do not link directly to commercial sites. Googling the product title above will get you sites that provide these.

• Posted

Only let them give your injection on the inside of yout ankle, toward the bottom of your foot. If they give you a shot straight up your heel you will feel the worst pain of your life!! Good luck. Really get into stretches, mine. has finally went away and stretches have been the answer for me.
  • Posted

Hey,

I'm also sorry to hear you have Plantar Fasciitis. I have had it for a few years now but haven't had the steroid injections. Like 'Susi' above I would reccommend the gel inserts for your shoes. I shopped around a lot until I found ones that were perfect for me. I bought some that did absolutely nothing for my feet which was such a shame so decided to splash out on some that I saw on a Plantar Fascittis forum.

There is a really good clinical study read on their website which I would reccommend and all the other buyer comments are really positive! Google insolesbyhappyfeet - I got them in the post dead quick and I could feel the difference after only a short amount of time!

I hope your treatment goes well and you find something to help - i know how painful it can be.

M.

• Posted

Hi Susi,

I have inserts in my shoes already. Which were recommended by chiropodist I saw when I realised the pain just wasn't going anywhere.

I will google those Gel one's that you have suggested though and maybe give them a try if the injection doesn't work.

Bloomers

• Posted

Hi Bloomers,

I also went to a podiatrist first who made me

Inserts, but they only made my pain worse. As

I don't believe in injections, I wanted to try a

more natural way and was lucky to find a very

gifted acupuncturist. She ordered me the gel

inserts to try and Bingo, after a few more weeks

the pain got less and less.

I wish you all the best that you get well soon.

S.

• Posted

Hi, Look for the video 'how to strap your foot for plantar fascitis' (or something similar to that.) It shows how to put strapping on the foot to alleviate the symptoms. It's worked very well for me, it's a cheap and easy solution...and it saved me from an injection, which I didn't want. I did put the whole of the instructions on another question....but I haven't got the time to type it all out!!

Good luck!

• Posted

Oh, by the way....the injections...in my experience they hurt like hell, and don't necessarily do the job they were intended to do....I avoid them like the plague!!
    • Posted

I think it was your post that I saw which spoke about taping your foot. I want to thank you so much!!! Almost immediately I saw a difference. I also got a compression sock that I wear mostly at night. Thanks do much for your help !!!!
  • Posted

Hi Sue516. I have tried using tape for the last couple of weeks. To begin with when I used tape I wasn't in as muh pain. However, more recently even with tape and the end of the day I am walking terribly.

I am still awaiting to hear from GP in regards to having an injection, that's the only course of action my GP has provided me with.

• Posted

Tape and compression sick made all the difference for me
  • Posted

Hi - I've suffered with this for approximately two years.

I have had both feet injected, the process is eye watering and you must stay off your feet for at least two weeks so they did mine at different times. It helped for approximately 2-3 months, I would not recommend as they are now worse than before the treatment, though I cannot say if this is because of the injections.

I would recommend decent insoles - go to a good podiatrist and have them made, the NHS one size fits all are made from plastic and do not cushion the foot. I have used gel inserts to limited effect - if your feet aren't too inflamed they can help. Gentle but regular exercise to stretch the area is beneficial, if your foot is too inflamed my podiatrist advised against this as you can tear and damage the area more. Make sure you wear decent supportive shoes with only a small heel.

My podiatrist gave me ultrasound which helped more but is a long process and therefore an expensive one. I'm currently back on Naproxen anti-inflammatory pills and pain killers when it gets beyond the point. There seems to be no 100% answer, if anyone has found success using other methods please do advise - the pain and discomfort can be excruciating and I would love to be rid of it.

• Posted

I suffered with Plantar Fasciitis for around 2 years and nothing helped it just got worse and worse until I could hardly walk. Eventually the consultant advised surgery as the last option.  The injections I had in my foot to numb it were horrendous and I had to have some of the heel spur gound down because it was too sharp but it worked. I have been mainly pain free for 10 years - just the odd warning shot which after exercise is ok.  Unforunately, it has come in my other foot now so the battle begins again. Good luck with your treatment. 
  • Posted

Hi

I have been diagonised with this in October last year in my right foot, i have been to the doctors on several occasions and my doctor refered me to a physio who i was then told would not look at my feet.

On going back to the doctors as it has then developed into my left foot as well, the doctor asked me to stand on my heels in which i nearly passed out it was so painful.

I have since been to the pedoirist who was brilliant and has advised me about getting a pair of FITflops, a pediroll and also a list of excersise, i have suffered and still suffering from sleepless nights so rung my GP who said about having steroid injections, I had my first lot last week and at the time was quite painful but now has reduced the pain for me so i would advise them if you can have them.

I am now 5 months down the line and still struggling just hope i can get something to take the pain away as it is now effecting my confidence as i cannot walk properly.

• Posted

Hi - I was sorry to read your comments and do sympathise, at times I could hardly walk with the pain and felt like an old woman, nothing seemed to alleviate it.

Desperate to find any sort of treatment I came across Extra Corporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT). As the name suggests, it's a machine that sends shockwaves (they use something similar to destroy kidney stones) into the damaged area, stimulating the body into repairing the area and at the same time reducing the pain. I had it done 3 times once a week - each foot taking approximately 10 minutes. You don't need an anaesthetic; it's a walk-in clinic and you can drive home. Unfortunately it's not available on the NHS in my area (Hampshire) and whilst my GP wasn't familiar with the treatment he was very supportive and happy for me to try, with the proviso I report back the results smile

The practitioner is a local Consultant Orthapeadic Surgeon who has treated a number of patients with success, he is now trying to get approval for NHS funding, I would strongly recommend him. He has a website that you may find useful www.foot-ankle.co.uk

Since finishing the 3 treatments in February, my feet are tender at the beginning and end of the day but only occasionally painful. I have been wearing a shoe with a low heel (insoles included) whereas I was always in flats before. I find driving exacerbates things so try and avoid journeys over 1/2 hour. I have only had to apply anti-inflammatory gel twice to get through the night as opposed to nightly. April should be when I see optimal results, so I'm keeping everything crossed that I continue to make progress.

After 4 years of discomfort/pain and 2 years of different types of treatment, this is the best I have felt in a long time, you may wish to consider it, I'd certainly recommend looking into it further - good luck.

• Posted

Hi , I'm new to this forum and symapathise with my fellow sufferers.

I wont bore you all with the day by day history other than to say surgery on my right foot was a qualified success. (still problems standing for any significant period). I started having problems with my left foot 3 yrs ago and after numerous consultatations, inserts and injections the consultant recommended Shockwave therapy.

I can honestly say it was the worst decision I have ever made. Whereas before the shockwave treatment I could go for walks and use the treadmill in the gym, and suffer the consequences after, I am now in constant pain, even in bed. I now have, more or less constant, severe heel pain, which is 10 times worse than before, I cannot walk far, and the treadmill is out of the question (some might say that's a bonus!!).

I have another appt with the consultant, and will seriousley discuss surgery.

Jeff

• Posted

Hi Jeff, I had my first shockwave therapy 10 days ago and it has also made my pain a lot worse! May I ask you how many sessions you had? And how long ago where they done? 
    • Posted

Hi juliet86, first commiserations to a fellow "sufferer". I had 3 sessions, each 2 weeks apart, starting in early April thru to May. After the first session it wwas painful, but I had been told "this is the body starting to repair itself"!! After the second session the pain was worse, (no repair going on here then) I mentioned this prior to the third session and was told "maybe you are one of the 40% this doesn't work on, but we should complete the treatment"

Since then I have had really bad heel pain, something I had never experienced before. Prior to the tretment my pain was mainly in the arch of the foot.

I hate to put a downer on it, and after all, we are all different, but the tretment was a spectacular failure in my case.

Hope you have better luck. Jeff

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply Jeff! This is exactly what I was going through and the reason why I decided not to continue the shockwave therapy sessions. I hope you are managing to find more appropriate treatments and heal from this awful "disease". Thank you again for taking the time to answer and provide me with such valuable input! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.