Plaquenil for Osteoarthritis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with osteo in hands and feet. This was after 2 and a half years. I was first diagnosed with Polymyalgia rheumatica and was put on steroids for 22 months. Switched rheumatologist who advised this was wrong and to get off steroids. I did and things are much worse. Both shoulders, both hips, both knees, back hands and feet. Im very confused as plaquenil is a DMARD and wondered if anyone else has been prescribed this medication for osteo. Thanks Joanne

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi jo,I have head to toe osteo and fibromyalgia.I have flares at times

of what feels like polymyalgia but until I get an inflammation marker

in my blood work I am undiagnosed.I have been taking plaquenil

for the last year for my osteo to see if it would help and it has

for the inflammation.I know plaquenil wouldn't work for pmr but only

steroids do.I wanted to see what would happen if I stopped taking

the plaquenil and after being off for a week I have felt more of my

osteo stiffness creeping back up.I am going to see how long I can

go without it as I am not crazy about taking anything that I don't

need to especially since you need to monitor your eyes on this drug.

• Posted

Thanks so much for that info my GP comfirmed today as well. He advised he has other patients who have had good results. I was on steroids for 22 months and now have steroid induced cateracts from taking it gor so long. Very hard drug to get off of. I did feel better on steroids but they can bring on other health problems when used long term. I have been on pain killers only since last October so im going to try the plaquenil to see if it reduces pain and inflammation. Thanks again
  • Posted

i have been taking this for nearly  a year although  i take  Quinoric  ( cheaper version) and it has cut down the imflammation i was experiencing in my neck and hands  it took at least 6 weeks to feel the benefit   i also take less co codamol / nurofen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.